Car Hire in Plovdiv
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Plovdiv
Plovdiv is a city in Bulgaria, more precisely in the historical region of Thrace. It is the second largest city in Bulgaria and an important economic, transport, cultural, and educational center. The city was founded in 343 BC on the banks of the Maritsa River. In the beginning, it was a small settlement, but over the years it became bigger and bigger and in many ways more and more important. There were many different civilizations and cultures that passed here and tried to dominate this area. The great advantage of this area is the very fertile soil, which makes Plovdiv and its surroundings a great area for growing various fruits, vegetables, etc. So the citizens had enough to eat and there was enough to do, so everyone was busy and had work. All this made Plovdiv a very popular destination for people who were looking for a better place to live. Many different cultures came here and today this is a unique city with a special spirit and charm that you can feel the moment you come to Plovdiv.
Plovdiv was the European Capital of Culture in 2019 and is also the cultural capital of the country. In 2016, Plovdiv joined the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities. This is a city with a very long and rich past and today you can visit many great remnants of this history. There are many amazing sights that you can visit here in Plovdiv and all these historical, cultural, and religious sights make this city a very popular destination for tourists and travelers from all over the world. Besides all these sights, Plovdiv also has a very lively nightlife and many great events that take place throughout the year. From various concerts, festivals, performances, exhibitions, etc. So there are more than enough reasons to put Plovdiv on the list of cities where you will spend a few days during your road trip through Bulgaria. This could also be the perfect starting point for your road trip to this interesting country. Fasten your seatbelts and drive safely!
Basic info and car hire in Plovdiv
- Location: Southern Bulgaria
- Population: 343,424 (2017)
- Official language: Bulgarian
- Currency: Bulgarian lev
- Weather: The weather in Plovdiv is typically mild, but the city experiences all four seasons. The winters are cold, with an average temperature of around 0 degrees Celsius. The summers are hot, with an average temperature of approximately 24 degrees Celsius. Spring and autumn are mild, with average temperatures of around 12-15 degrees Celsius.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road conditions in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, are generally good. However, there are a few areas where the roads need repair. Drivers should be careful when traveling in these areas, as the streets can be pretty bumpy and dangerous. Overall, the road conditions in Plovdiv are satisfactory and provide a safe means of transportation for locals and visitors alike.
- Car hire in Plovdiv: Car hire in Plovdiv is a great idea to explore all of what Bulgaria has to offer. The most common pick-up location is at Plovdiv Airport. There are many different car rental companies available and they all offer competitive prices. So it's best to book a car three or eight weeks ahead of time - this will ensure you get an affordable rate! Alternatively, if your travel plans change last minute there are plenty around who can help out as well; just look no further than us here at Orbit Car Hire.
Driving in Plovdiv
If you want to explore Plovdiv and its surroundings properly, then renting a car here is undoubtedly the best solution for you. Renting a car in Plovdiv gives you the opportunity to explore the area at your own pace and according to your own preferences. Before coming here, you should make a plan because there is a lot to see and do, and with a good plan, you will waste less time. The roads here are generally in good condition, and the signaling is clear, so you should just follow the traffic rules and be careful. Local drivers can sometimes be impatient and it is perfectly normal for locals not to stop at the crosswalks. If you want to explore the city center, it is best to park your car in a parking lot and go exploring on foot. It is best to park your car in a secure parking lot so you do not have to worry about the safety of your car.
If you are traveling outside of Plovdiv, especially the rural areas of Bulgaria are known for having roads that are often not so well maintained, so you should pay attention and reduce your speed if necessary. It is also good to know that in rural areas there can be tractors, cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and even animals, so you should be extra careful when driving in these areas.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Bulgaria is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car in Bulgaria is 20 years old. It can differ between car categories and the minimum car rental age. Young driver fees can apply for drivers under the age of 25. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License. In addition, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements
- Additional papers: A credit card in the main driver's name needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car, so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle and on your voucher. It is essential to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver and additional drivers when it applies. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional requirements: If you are driving your car from the UK unless your headlights can be adjusted, it's a legal requirement to carry headlamp converters (stickers for your headlights when driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way). A warning triangle is also compulsory to carry in vehicles in case of a breakdown. It's also recommended to have: Spare bulbs for your car's external lights, a fire extinguisher, a first-aid kit, and a reflective jacket (every passenger should have a reflective jacket which must be worn in case of a breakdown or emergency on a motorway when stepping out of the vehicle), snow chains (use of chains can be compulsory depending on road conditions so check local information. The speed limit when driving with snow chains is 50 km/h)
- Children in the car: According to the UNECE, child restraint seats are now required. Those children aged three and below must have child restraint seats. There are hefty fines implemented for those who won’t abide by the rules. Fifty leva is fine for getting caught not wearing a seatbelt and not having a child seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: All vehicles must drive with their headlights on, even in the daytime
- General speed limits: Speed limits in Bulgaria vary depending on the road. In built-up areas, the limit for cars is 50 km/h while outside these areas the limit is 90 km/h. On motorways, the limit is either 130 km/h or 140 km/h, depending on local signage.
- Parking suggestions: Parking a car in Plovdiv can be a challenge. There are only a few parking garages in the city, which are often full. Street parking is also difficult to find, and it can be expensive. The best option is to park your car in one of the many parks near the city center. Many of these parks have free parking, close to restaurants, shops, and other attractions. Just read the signs carefully, so you don't get a ticket.
Car Hire in Plovdiv
Most popular car hire at Plovdiv
The most selected hire car in Plovdiv is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio, or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Plovdiv are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Plovdiv
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside Plovdiv. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original site. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Bulgaria.
- Plovdiv - Varna (369km, approx. 4,5-hour drive)
- Plovdiv - Burgas (254km, approx. 2,5-hour drive)
- Plovdiv - Sofia (144km, approx. 1,5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Plovdiv
There are many popular day trips from Plovdiv, Bulgaria. One of the most popular is to go to the ancient city of Rhodope. Rhodope is located about an hour and a half from Plovdiv and is home to many ancient ruins. Finally, another popular day trip is to visit the wineries in the village of Koprivshtitsa. Koprivshtitsa is located about an hour and a half from Plovdiv and is home to many charming traditional Bulgarian villages. Any of these day trips are sure to be a memorable experience!
What to see in Plovdiv
Plovdiv is a city with a long and rich past. In the past, there were many events that shaped the face and character of this city. Today you can visit many different historical, cultural, and religious sights that remain from these events in the past. The city is a very popular destination with tourists and travelers from all over the world and when you arrive here, you will immediately know why. This city has a unique charm that forces you to fall in love with Plovdiv the moment you arrive here.
One of the attractions of Plovdiv that you should definitely visit is the Ancient Theatre. This amazing piece of architecture is still in use, more than 2000 years after it was built. The theatre has 700 seats and during the summer all kinds of performances are held here. If you have the opportunity to attend one of the performances, it is truly a unique experience.
Another impressive piece of architecture here in Plovdiv is the Roman stadium. Today only remains of this stadium can be seen, which once held more than 30000 visitors.
Other things to do and places to visit in Plovdiv: Plovdiv Old Town, Bachkovo Monastery, Regional Ethnographic Museum, Ancient Philippopolis, Mevlevi Hane, The Clock Tower, Asen's Fortress, Church of St. Konstantin and Elena, Dzhumaya Mosque, Plovdiv Aviation Museum, Walk Plovdiv's Hills, Traditional Bulgarian fare, Mavrud Wine and Rakia,...
Drive your rental car beyond Plovdiv
Bulgaria or officially the Republic of Bulgaria is a country in Europe, more precisely in the southeastern part of the continent. The country is located in the eastern part of the Balkans and has five neighboring countries. Romania to the north, Serbia and Northern Macedonia to the west, and Greece and Turkey to the south. A border of Bulgaria also runs along the sea, as the country is located on the coast of the Black Sea. The capital of Bulgaria is Sofia and other important Bulgarian cities are Plovdiv, Burgas, and Varna.
This is a country with a very long, rich, and turbulent past. There have been many events here in the past that have shaped the Bulgaria of today. This is a unique country with many different faces. Here in Bulgaria, there are many different cultures and religions and this fact gives the country another dose of charm and spirit. Besides some interesting cities worth visiting here in Bulgaria, especially the big cities where you can visit many monuments, museums, galleries, cultural events, etc., Bulgaria also has a wonderful nature that offers all possibilities to tourists and travelers from all over the world. Especially in the last decade tourism in Bulgaria has grown very fast and there is really a lot to see and do here. You can enjoy here many different sports activities in beautiful nature with mountains, lakes, rivers and of course the Bulgarian Black Sea. Besides many different sports activities, this is also a perfect country for a road trip. You can travel from city to city and explore the rural parts of the country on the way. You can find some amazing authentic villages where you can get a glimpse of traditional life in Bulgaria. There are also many wineries in the countryside, so if you like wine, you can visit many different places where quality Bulgarian wine is made.
Bulgaria is a country that is interesting to visit all year round. It is up to you what kind of activities (swimming, skiing, snowboarding, skating, cycling, running, sailing, climbing, rafting, kayaking, etc.) you prefer on your holiday, but one thing is for sure, you will not be bored in Bulgaria. Each month of the year offers a different face of Bulgaria, and each one is very interesting to discover. Being a culturally very rich destination, you can visit some great monuments here in Bulgaria.
Here are some places to visit in Bulgaria: Varna, Veliko Tarnovo, Sofia, Zheravna, Burgas, Rila Monastery, Bansko, Pamporovo, Pirin National Park, Belogradchik, Plovdiv, Sunny Beach, Koprivshtitsa, Perperikon, Nessebar...
Where to eat, drink, and party in Plovdiv
When it comes to food and drinks, Plovdiv has a lot to offer. Many restaurants, cafes, and bars serve traditional Bulgarian food and drinks. Plovdiv's most popular dishes are shopska salad, banitsa, and rakia. Shopska salad mixes diced tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions, and feta cheese. Banitsa is a pastry with layers of filo dough filled with cheese or meat. Rakia is a strong alcoholic drink made from grapes or fruit.
If you're looking for something sweet, Plovdiv has plenty of bakeries and candy stores. The most popular bakery items are pastries such as baklava and kadaif. Baklava is a pastry with layers of filo dough filled with chopped nuts, syrup, or honey. Kadaif is a pastry made with thin strands of dough filled with walnuts, almonds, pistachios, or other nuts and soaked in syrup.
If you're looking for something to drink, Plovdiv has many different types of coffee shops and bars. Plovdiv's most popular drinks are coffee, beer, wine, and rakia. Coffee is made from roasted coffee beans ground and brewed with hot water. Beer is made from malted barley, hops, yeast, and water. Wine is a drink made from fermented grapes or other fruits. Finally, Rakia is a strong alcoholic drink made from grapes or fruit.
So, whether you're looking for a quick snack or a full meal, Plovdiv has something to satisfy your appetite. And, if you want to enjoy a drink with friends, there are plenty of places in Plovdiv to choose from. So, come and explore the food and beverages of Plovdiv! You won't be disappointed.
BEST PLACE FOR A PARTY IN PLOVDIV:
Quattro Piano Bar
BEST RESTAURANTS IN PLOVDIV:
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Bulgaria?
A credit card in the main driver's name needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car, so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle and on your voucher. It is essential to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver and additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need identification with you, such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car, you need to have your voucher.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Bulgaria?
The minimum age to rent a car in Bulgaria is 20 years old; it can also be different from car categories. Young driver fees may apply to drivers under the age of 25. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Bulgaria?
Insurances are essential when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Bulgaria with Orbit Car Hire, the country's prices will include mandatory insurance.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Bulgaria?
In most cases, a credit card must be presented in the name of the main driver. In addition, a security deposit may be required when renting a car, so it is vital to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a vehicle at Orbit, you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Bulgaria?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License. In addition, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in Bulgaria?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the costs increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Bulgaria?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars as the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Kia Picanto, Renault Clio, Toyota Aygo often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Bulgaria?
You may find excellent services provided by companies such as Abbycar, Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, Thrifty, Firefly, and Mex rent a car.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Bulgaria?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Kia Picanto, Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, VW Golf, Mercedes E-class.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Bulgaria?
Most car rentals in Bulgaria offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Plovdiv 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Plovdiv
Best of Bulgaria