Car Hire in Varna
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Varna
Varna is a city in Bulgaria, more precisely in the northern part of the country. It is a city with a very long, turbulent, and rich past. In the beginning, it was a small settlement on the Gulf of Varna, which slowly grew in importance and today it is the third largest Bulgarian city and the largest port on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. It is also the largest resort on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. All in all, Varna is a very popular destination among Bulgarians and also tourists, and travelers from all over the world.
But Varna is not only a tourist destination, there are many other qualities that distinguish this city and make Varna even more popular among the general population. Varna is an important center for business, transportation, education, tourism, entertainment, and health care. So, Varna is a very modern city in many respects. in 2017, for example, Varna was awarded the title of European Youth Capital.
So, there are really many reasons to put Varna on the list of places where you will stop and spend a few days during your road trip through Bulgaria. Varna could also be a perfect starting point for your road trip through this country or even for a road trip through the Balkans. There are many ways you can get to Varna. You can of course come by car, another way is by plane as there is an international airport in Varna, and the third way is by boat as Varna is a coastal city and there is a large Bulgarian port here. When you arrive in Varna, many great historical, religious, and cultural sights await you to visit, and of course beaches, water sports, great restaurants, great parties, etc. There are more than enough reasons to come here and enjoy your holiday. Buckle up and drive safely!
Basic info and car hire in Varna
- Location: Bulgaria's the Black Sea
- Population: 335,177 (2017)
- Official language: Bulgarian
- Currency: Bulgarian lev
- Weather: The weather in Varna is typically the Mediterranean. This means that it is warm and sunny most of the time, with a few rain showers now and then. Depending on the year, the temperatures usually range from the low 20s to the high 30s. During the summer, the temperatures can reach 40 degrees Celsius. However, the evenings and nights are usually relatively mild, so outside is still comfortable. Overall, the weather in Varna is excellent for those who love sunshine and warm temperatures!
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road conditions in Varna are generally good, but some areas can be improved. The main roads are well-maintained and easy to drive on, but the smaller streets can be rough. There have been some improvements in recent years, but more work is still needed. Drivers should be careful when traveling on the city's outskirts, as some roads are in poor condition. Overall, the streets in Varna are decent and getting better all the time.
- Car hire in Varna: Car hire in Varna is a great idea to explore all of what Bulgaria has to offer. The most common pick-up location is at Varna Airport. There are many different car rental companies available and they all offer competitive prices. So it's best to book a car three or eight weeks ahead of time - this will ensure you get an affordable rate! Alternatively, if your travel plans change last minute there are plenty around who can help out as well; just look no further than us here at Orbit Car Hire.
Driving in Varna
If you want to explore Varna and the surrounding areas of the city, a rental car is the best option for you. There are many great places outside the city that are only accessible by car. So if you want to explore Bulgaria at your own pace and according to your own preferences, then a rental car is really the best option for you. The roads here are in good condition, the signaling is clear so all you have to do is follow the traffic rules and follow the road signs and you will have no problems driving in Varna. Be aware that there are fixed cameras everywhere in the city, so you should always be careful not to exceed the speed limit.
During high season, there can be a lot of traffic jams in the city, so it is best to leave your car in a parking lot and explore the city center on foot. Once you have explored the city center, you can get back in your car and drive out of the city. If you are traveling in rural areas, be aware that many roads are not well maintained and may have holes, so reduce your speed if necessary. Rural areas can also have many pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, tractors, and even animals on the roads, so be extra careful when driving on these roads.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Bulgaria is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car in Bulgaria is 20 years old. It can differ between car categories and the minimum car rental age. Young driver fees can apply for drivers under the age of 25. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License. In addition, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements
- Additional papers: A credit card in the main driver's name needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car, so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle and on your voucher. It is essential to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver and additional drivers when it applies. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional requirements: If you are driving your car from the UK unless your headlights can be adjusted, it's a legal requirement to carry headlamp converters (stickers for your headlights when driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way). A warning triangle is also compulsory to carry in vehicles in case of a breakdown. It's also recommended to have: Spare bulbs for your car's external lights, a fire extinguisher, a first-aid kit, and a reflective jacket (every passenger should have a reflective jacket which must be worn in case of a breakdown or emergency on a motorway when stepping out of the vehicle), snow chains (use of chains can be compulsory depending on road conditions so check local information. The speed limit when driving with snow chains is 50 km/h)
- Children in the car: According to the UNECE, child restraint seats are now required. Those children aged three and below must have child restraint seats. There are hefty fines implemented for those who won’t abide by the rules. Fifty leva is fine for getting caught not wearing a seatbelt and not having a child seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: All vehicles must drive with their headlights on, even in the daytime
- General speed limits: Speed limits in Bulgaria vary depending on the road. In built-up areas, the limit for cars is 50 km/h while outside these areas the limit is 90 km/h. On motorways, the limit is either 130 km/h or 140 km/h, depending on local signage.
Car Hire in Varna
Most popular car hire at Varna
The most selected hire car in Varna is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio, or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Varna are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Varna
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside Varna. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original site. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Bulgaria.
- Varna - Burgas (115km, approx. 2-hour drive)
- Varna - Sofia (441km, approx. 5,5-hour drive)
- Varna - Plovdiv (364km, approx. 4,5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Varna
Plenty of great day trips can be taken from Varna, Bulgaria. One option is to visit the ancient city of Nessebar, just a short drive away. This charming town is home to narrow streets, centuries-old churches, and impressive fortifications. Another option is to head to the Black Sea Coast, where plenty of beautiful beaches exist. A final suggestion is to visit the Rila Monastery, one of Bulgaria’s most famous attractions. This stunning monastery is located in the Rila Mountains and is well worth visiting for its unique architecture and lovely setting.
What to see in Varna
Varna is the largest resort on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. Moreover, this is a city with a very long, rich, and turbulent past and there are many remnants of the past here in the city that you can see today. Varna is a culturally rich city and for people looking for a holiday with lots of sightseeing, it is a perfect destination. Varna is undoubtedly the place where all types of tourists and travelers can find something for themselves. Before you come to Varna, you should get well-informed and make a plan, because there is really a lot to see and do, and with a good plan, you will waste less time.
The Seagarden is definitely a place you should not miss during your visit to Varna. This is a popular destination with the locals and there is really a lot to see and do here. You can visit ZOO, parks, restaurants, cafes, casinos, Dolphinarium...
The Archaeological Museum is another place you should visit when you come to Varna. Since it is a very old city, there are many things you should see in this museum. All kinds of objects from the past are displayed here and perhaps the most fascinating collection is gold and valuable items recovered from the Varna Necropolis, where the Thracian tombs are an amazing 6,500 years old.
Other places to visit and things to do in Varna: Aladzha Monastery, Varna Cathedral, Battle of Varna, Park Museum, Stone Forest, Varna Roman Baths, Retro Museum, University Botanical Garden, The Wonderful Rocks, Barite Complex, Museum of the History of Medicine, Euxinograd, Golden Sands, Amusement Park Varna...
Drive your rental car beyond Varna
Bulgaria or officially the Republic of Bulgaria is a country in Europe, more precisely in the southeastern part of the continent. The country is located in the eastern part of the Balkans and has five neighboring countries. Romania to the north, Serbia and Northern Macedonia to the west, and Greece and Turkey to the south. A border of Bulgaria also runs along the sea, as the country is located on the coast of the Black Sea. The capital of Bulgaria is Sofia and other important Bulgarian cities are Plovdiv, Burgas, and Varna.
This is a country with a very long, rich, and turbulent past. There have been many events here in the past that have shaped the Bulgaria of today. This is a unique country with many different faces. Here in Bulgaria, there are many different cultures and religions and this fact gives the country another dose of charm and spirit. Besides some interesting cities worth visiting here in Bulgaria, especially the big cities where you can visit many monuments, museums, galleries, cultural events, etc., Bulgaria also has a wonderful nature that offers all possibilities to tourists and travelers from all over the world. Especially in the last decade tourism in Bulgaria has grown very fast and there is really a lot to see and do here. You can enjoy here many different sports activities in beautiful nature with mountains, lakes, rivers and of course the Bulgarian Black Sea. Besides many different sports activities, this is also a perfect country for a road trip. You can travel from city to city and explore the rural parts of the country on the way. You can find some amazing authentic villages where you can get a glimpse of traditional life in Bulgaria. There are also many wineries in the countryside, so if you like wine, you can visit many different places where quality Bulgarian wine is made.
Bulgaria is a country that is interesting to visit all year round. It is up to you what kind of activities (swimming, skiing, snowboarding, skating, cycling, running, sailing, climbing, rafting, kayaking, etc.) you prefer on your holiday, but one thing is for sure, you will not be bored in Bulgaria. Each month of the year offers a different face of Bulgaria, and each one is very interesting to discover. Being a culturally very rich destination, you can visit some great monuments here in Bulgaria.
Here are some places to visit in Bulgaria: Varna, Veliko Tarnovo, Sofia, Zheravna, Burgas, Rila Monastery, Bansko, Pamporovo, Pirin National Park, Belogradchik, Plovdiv, Sunny Beach, Koprivshtitsa, Perperikon, Nessebar...
Where to eat, drink, and party in Varna
Bulgarian cuisine stems from the country's mix of eastern and western influences. Dishes are often simple, with a focus on fresh ingredients. Pork, lamb, and chicken are popular meats, while salads, soups, and stews are typical starters and main courses. Bulgaria is known for its yogurt, which is used in both savory and sweet dishes. Local specialties include:
- Banitsa (a cheese pastry).
- Shopska salad (a mix of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, peppers, and feta cheese).
- Tarator (a cold soup made of diluted yogurt, water, garlic, and cucumber).
BEST PLACES FOR A PARTY IN VARNA:
Kultura Speakeasy Bar
Mojito Beach Bar
Diagonal - Craft Beer Bar
BEST RESTAURANTS IN VARNA:
The Martini Food & Cocktails
Staria Chinar – Preslav
The Sea Terrace
Tasting Room - Premium Spirits and Cocktails
Bulgarian wines are praised for their quality; Rakia, a strong fruit brandy, is also popular.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Bulgaria?
A credit card in the main driver's name needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car, so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle and on your voucher. It is essential to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver and additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need identification with you, such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car, you need to have your voucher.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Bulgaria?
The minimum age to rent a car in Bulgaria is 20 years old; it can also be different from car categories. Young driver fees may apply to drivers under the age of 25. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Bulgaria?
Insurances are essential when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Bulgaria with Orbit Car Hire, the country's prices will include mandatory insurance.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Bulgaria?
In most cases, a credit card must be presented in the name of the main driver. In addition, a security deposit may be required when renting a car, so it is vital to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a vehicle at Orbit, you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Bulgaria?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License. In addition, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in Bulgaria?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the costs increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Bulgaria?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars as the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Kia Picanto, Renault Clio, Toyota Aygo often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Bulgaria?
You may find excellent services provided by companies such as Abbycar, Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, Thrifty, Firefly, and Mex rent a car.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Bulgaria?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Kia Picanto, Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, VW Golf, Mercedes E-class.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Bulgaria?
Most car rentals in Bulgaria offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Varna 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Varna
Best of Bulgaria