Car Hire in Varna
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Varna
Varna is undoubtedly the most popular destination for Bulgarian Black Sea resorts. Located on the city's outskirts, the beaches are long and wide, with golden sand and crystal-clear waters. The coastline stretches over 20 kilometres, making it perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and windsurfing. There are also plenty of restaurants and cafes along the promenade and a few nightclubs for those looking to party into the night.
For those who prefer a more active holiday, there's plenty to do in Varna too. The city is home to several museums and galleries, including the Archaeological Museum and the Naval Museum. A few churches are worth visiting, such as the impressive St. Nicholas Cathedral. Outside the city, there are plenty of nature trails and parks to explore and a few monasteries and castles.
Whatever your interests, you can find something to enjoy in Varna. With its long beaches, lively nightlife, and wealth of culture and history, it's no wonder this resort town is popular with tourists. So why not add it to your list of places to visit? You won't be disappointed.
Basic info and car hire in Varna
- Location: Bulgaria's the Black Sea
- Population: 335,177 (2017)
- Official language: Bulgarian
- Currency: Bulgarian lev
- Weather: The weather in Varna is typically the Mediterranean. This means that it is warm and sunny most of the time, with a few rain showers now and then. Depending on the year, the temperatures usually range from the low 20s to the high 30s. During the summer, the temperatures can reach 40 degrees Celsius. However, the evenings and nights are usually relatively mild, so outside is still comfortable. Overall, the weather in Varna is excellent for those who love sunshine and warm temperatures!
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road conditions in Varna are generally good, but some areas can be improved. The main roads are well-maintained and easy to drive on, but the smaller streets can be rough. There have been some improvements in recent years, but more work is still needed. Drivers should be careful when travelling on the city's outskirts, as some roads are in poor condition. Overall, the streets in Varna are decent and getting better all the time.
- Car hire in Varna: There are plenty of car hire companies in Varna, Switzerland, to choose from. You can find a list of Varna's car hire companies on Orbit Car Hire. When hiring a car, it is essential to consider the cost of fuel and insurance. The fuel cost in Switzerland is expensive, so you may want to choose an economical car to run. Insurance premiums vary depending on the company, so it is essential to compare different quotes before making your final decision. The most popular location to rent a car in Varna is the airport.
Driving in Varna
There are a few things to keep in mind when driving in Varna. The first is that the roads can be pretty narrow, so take care when passing other cars. Another thing to watch out for is the locals' habit of speeding, so stay alert and keep to the speed limit. Finally, make sure you know where you're going as there are a lot of one-way streets in the city centre. You'll have no trouble driving in Varna if you follow these tips!
- Age limits: Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups and these are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you can rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers. You must have held your Driving Licence for a minimum of 1 full year(s).
The minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 19.
The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 75.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: When picking up the vehicle, you and all Additional Drivers must present a valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements:
- Children in the car: Children under 150 cm. Should use a car's back seat, and children under three years must use a child's car seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right side.
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: Highways - the speed limit on highways is 140 km / h; the minimum is 60 km / h; on Interurban roads - the maximum permitted speed is 90 km / h; In cities - the maximum authorized speed is 50 km / h.
- Parking suggestions:
Car Hire in Varna
Most popular car hire at Varna
The most selected hire car in Varna is the Fiat Panda, with the Toyota Aygo and Volkswagen Golf also popular options. Sofia's most popular car types are mini, economy and standard categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Varna
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside Varna. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original site. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Bulgaria.
- Varna - Burgas (115km, approx. 2-hour drive)
- Varna - Sofia (441km, approx. 5,5-hour drive)
- Varna - Plovdiv (364km, approx. 4,5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Varna
Plenty of great day trips can be taken from Varna, Bulgaria. One option is to visit the ancient city of Nessebar, just a short drive away. This charming town is home to narrow streets, centuries-old churches and impressive fortifications. Another option is to head to the Black Sea Coast, where plenty of beautiful beaches exist. A final suggestion is to visit the Rila Monastery, one of Bulgaria’s most famous attractions. This stunning monastery is located in the Rila Mountains and is well worth visiting for its unique architecture and lovely setting.
What to see in Varna
There are many things to see and do in Varna, Bulgaria. Some top attractions include the Archaeological Museum, the Naval Museum, and the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin. Additionally, the city has several beautiful parks and gardens, including Zoopark Varna, Asparuhov Park, and Botanical Gardens. Visitors can also enjoy a variety of restaurants, bars, and clubs in Varna. Finally, a wide range of activities is available in the surrounding area, including hiking, biking, skiing, and swimming.
Drive your rental car beyond Varna
If you're looking for a great road trip destination, look no further than Varna, Bulgaria. With its stunning coastline and diverse landscape, there's plenty to see and do on a road trip from Varna. Here are some of the best roads trips from Varna:
1. Drive along the Black Sea Coastline - This route offers beautiful views of the Black Sea coastline. Stop at some beach towns and villages, such as Sozopol and Nessebar.
2. Visit the Rila Monastery - This stunning monastery is located in the Rila Mountains and is well worth a visit. The drive to the monastery is also scenic, so take your time and enjoy the views.
3. Drive through the Bulgarian countryside - If you're looking for a more rural road trip, then drive through the Bulgarian countryside. You'll be treated to stunning mountain views and charming villages.
No matter your route, you're sure to have a great time driving in Varna, Bulgaria. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your road trip today!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Varna
Bulgarian cuisine stems from the country's mix of eastern and western influences. Dishes are often simple, with a focus on fresh ingredients. Pork, lamb, and chicken are popular meats, while salads, soups, and stews are typical starters and main courses. Bulgaria is known for its yoghurt, which is used in both savoury and sweet dishes. Local specialities include:
- Banitsa (a cheese pastry).
- Shopska salad (a mix of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, peppers, and feta cheese).
- Tarator (a cold soup made of diluted yoghurt, water, garlic, and cucumber).
Bulgarian wines are praised for their quality; Rakia, a strong fruit brandy, is also popular.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Bulgaria?
A credit card in the main driver's name needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car, so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle and on your voucher. It is essential to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver and additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need identification with you, such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car, you need to have your voucher.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Bulgaria?
The minimum age to rent a car in Bulgaria is 20 years old; it can also be different from car categories. Young driver fees may apply to drivers under the age of 25. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Bulgaria?
Insurances are essential when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Bulgaria with Orbit Car Hire, the country's prices will include mandatory insurance.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Bulgaria?
In most cases, a credit card must be presented in the name of the main driver. In addition, a security deposit may be required when renting a car, so it is vital to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a vehicle at Orbit, you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Bulgaria?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License. In addition, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in Bulgaria?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the costs increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Bulgaria?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars as the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Kia Picanto, Renault Clio, Toyota Aygo often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Bulgaria?
You may find excellent services provided by companies such as Abbycar, Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, Thrifty, Firefly, and Mex rent a car.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Bulgaria?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Kia Picanto, Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, VW Golf, Mercedes E-class.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Bulgaria?
Most car rentals in Bulgaria offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Varna 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Varna
Best of Bulgaria