Car Hire in Sofia
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Sofia
Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria and one of the oldest European cities. It's located in the western country and has over 1.3 million people. The city has a rich history and culture, with plenty of museums, theatres and other attractions. Sofia is also a central transportation hub, with an international airport and a large railway station.
Basic info and car hire in Sofia
- Location: West of Bulgaria
- Population: 1.236 million (2017)
- Official language: Bulgarian
- Currency: Bulgarian lev
- Weather: The weather in Sofia is typically temperate. The summers are hot and humid, while the winters are cold and dry. Sofia experiences a fair amount of rainfall, generally spread evenly throughout the year. Spring and autumn are mild, although there can be occasional lousy weather. Overall, the weather is pleasant for much of the year.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The roads in Sofia are generally in good condition, although a few areas can be improved. In particular, the streets in the city centre can be pretty congested and challenging to navigate. However, the outskirts of Sofia are well-maintained, and drivers will find it easy to get around. Overall, the road conditions in Sofia are decent but could be improved in some areas.
- Car hire in Sofia: There are plenty of car hire companies in Sofia, Switzerland, to choose from. You can find a list of Sofia's car hire companies on Orbit Car Hire. When hiring a car, it is essential to consider the cost of fuel and insurance. The fuel cost in Switzerland is expensive, so you may want to choose an economical car to run. Insurance premiums vary depending on the company, so it is essential to compare different quotes before making your final decision. The most popular location to rent a car in Sofia is the airport.
Driving in Sofia
The roads in Sofia are generally in good condition but can be pretty busy during rush hour. Drivers in Sofia are typically aggressive and often do not follow the rules of the road. It is essential to be aware of this when driving in Sofia and always be prepared for unexpected situations. Road conditions can change quickly due to weather or construction, so always being vigilant when driving is essential. There are several traffic circles in Sofia, which can confuse drivers who are not familiar with them. Be sure to take your time when driving through these circles, and remember that vehicles on the inside lane have the right of way. If parking on the street in Sofia, check the parking signs carefully, as many roads restrict where and how long you can park. Several parking garages in the city centre offer affordable rates and are a convenient option for those who need to park for an extended period.
- Age limits: Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups, which are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you can rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers. You must have held your Driving Licence for a minimum of 1 full year(s).
The minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 19.
The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 75.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: When picking up the vehicle, you and all Additional Drivers must present a valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must show all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements:
- Children in the car: Children under 150 cm. Should use a car's back seat, and children under three years must use a child's car seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: Highways - the speed limit on highways is 140 km / h; the minimum is 60 km / h; on Interurban roads - the maximum permitted speed is 90 km / h; In cities - the maximum authorized speed is 50 km / h.
- Parking suggestions: When parking a car in Sofia, it's essential to be aware of the parking regulations. In most cases, you must park in the designated areas, usually marked with blue lines on the ground. If there are no blue lines, you can park wherever there is space, as long as you're not blocking traffic. Parking meters are also standard in Sofia, so pay for your spot. Fines violating parking regulations can be hefty, so following the rules is best.
Car Hire in Sofia
Most popular car hire at Sofia
The most selected hire car in Sofia is the Fiat Panda, with the Toyota Aygo and Volkswagen Golf also popular options. The most popular car types in Sofia are mini, economy and standard categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Sofia
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside Sofia. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original site. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Bulgaria.
- Sofia - Varna (441km, approx. 5,5-hour drive)
- Sofia - Burgas (382km, approx. 3,5-hour drive)
- Sofia - Plovdiv (144km, approx. 1,5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Sofia
Visitors can enjoy many great day trips from Sofia, Bulgaria. Some popular destinations include the Rila Monastery, the Boyana Church, and the Seven Rila Lakes.
The Rila Monastery is a beautiful Orthodox monastery located in the Rila Mountains. It is one of Bulgaria's largest and most famous monasteries and is a significant tourist attraction. The monastery was founded in 927 AD and featured many stunning buildings, including the Church of Saint John the Baptist and the Tower of Hrisantema.
The Boyana Church is another popular tourist destination near Sofia. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and features some of the best-preserved medieval frescoes in the world. The church was built in the 10th century and has been well-maintained.
The Seven Rila Lakes are a popular hiking destination near Sofia. The lakes are located in the Rila Mountains and are a beautiful sight. They can be reached by hiking trails starting from the Rila Monastery or other mountain points.
What to see in Sofia
There are many things to see and do in Sofia, Bulgaria. The top attractions include the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, the National Palace of Culture, Borisova Gradina Park, and Vitosha Boulevard. Sofia is also home to many museums, including the Museum of Socialist Art, the National Archaeological Museum, and the Bulgarian Natural History Museum. Sofia also offers plenty of shopping and dining options, making it an excellent destination for a vacation or weekend getaway.
Drive your rental car beyond Sofia
The best road trips from Sofia, Bulgaria, take you through the beautiful countryside and stunning mountain scenery. One of the best routes is to head north towards Veliko Tarnovo, one of Bulgaria's oldest and most picturesque cities. As you wind your way up into the mountains, you'll be rewarded with breathtaking views of the river valley below. Once you reach Veliko Tarnovo, explore its charming old town, with its narrow streets and ancient architecture.
Another great option is to drive south towards Plovdiv, Bulgaria's second-largest city. You'll pass through some lovely rural areas before arriving in Plovdiv and being able to explore its well-preserved Roman ruins. Plovdiv is also known for its lively nightlife, so check out some of the trendy bars and restaurants in the city centre.
No matter your route, you will indeed have a fantastic trip experience in Bulgaria!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Sofia
Sofia, Bulgaria, is a beautiful place to indulge in some of the best food and drinks in the world. From traditional Bulgarian dishes to international cuisine, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Some of the most popular food and drink options in Sofia include:
- Bulgarian dishes such as banitsa, shopska salad, and tarator soup.
- Italian cuisines such as pizza and pasta.
- Seafood such as grilled octopus and salmon carpaccio.
- Turkish kebabs.
- Russian dumplings are called pirozhki.
In addition to restaurants, there are also many bars and cafes in Sofia where you can enjoy a drink or two. Some of the most popular places to drink in Sofia include:
- The Sofia Pub Crawl takes you to some of the best pubs and bars in the city.
- The 100 Pipers bar is known for its Scottish whisky selection.
- The Blues Bar features live music every night.
- The Boulevard Bistro & Wine Bar has a wide variety of wines from all over the world.
Sofia has something to offer everyone if you're looking for a delicious Bulgarian meal or an international cocktail. With its vibrant nightlife and diverse food and drink scene, it's no wonder that Sofia is quickly becoming one of the top travel destinations in Europe.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Bulgaria?
A credit card in the main driver's name needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car, so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle and on your voucher. It is essential to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver and additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need identification with you, such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car, you need to have your voucher.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Bulgaria?
The minimum age to rent a car in Bulgaria is 20 years old; it can also be different from car categories. Young driver fees may apply to drivers under the age of 25. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Bulgaria?
Insurances are essential when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Bulgaria with Orbit Car Hire, the country's prices will include mandatory insurance.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Bulgaria?
In most cases, a credit card must be presented in the name of the main driver. In addition, a security deposit may be required when renting a car, so it is vital to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a vehicle at Orbit, you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Bulgaria?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License. In addition, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in Bulgaria?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the costs increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Bulgaria?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars as the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Kia Picanto, Renault Clio, Toyota Aygo often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Bulgaria?
You may find excellent services provided by companies such as Abbycar, Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, Thrifty, Firefly, and Mex rent a car.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Bulgaria?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Kia Picanto, Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, VW Golf, Mercedes E-class.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Bulgaria?
Most car rentals in Bulgaria offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Sofia 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Sofia
Best of Bulgaria