Car Hire in Sofia
Find your car rental
Cheap Car Hire Deals Car Hire Companies in Sofia
Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria and one of the oldest European cities. It's located in the western part of the country and has over 1.3 million people. The city has a rich history and culture, with plenty of museums, theatres and other attractions. Sofia is also a central transportation hub, with an international airport and a large railway station.
Basic info and car hire in Sofia
- Location: West of Bulgaria
- Population: 1.236 million (2017)
- Official language: Bulgarian
- Currency: Bulgarian lev
- Weather: The weather in Sofia is typically temperate. The summers are hot and humid, while the winters are cold and dry. Sofia experiences a fair amount of rainfall generally spread evenly throughout the year. Spring and autumn are both mild, although there can be occasional bouts of bad weather. Overall, the weather is pleasant for much of the year.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The roads in Sofia are generally in good condition, although a few areas can be improved. In particular, the streets in the city centre can be pretty congested and challenging to navigate. However, the outskirts of Sofia are well-maintained, and drivers will find it easy to get around. Overall, the road conditions in Sofia are decent but could be improved in some areas.
- Car hire in Sofia: There are plenty of car hire companies in Sofia, Switzerland, to choose from. You can find a list of Sofia's car hire companies on Orbit Car Hire. When hiring a car, it is essential to consider the cost of fuel and insurance. The fuel cost in Switzerland is expensive, so you may want to choose an economical car to run. Insurance premiums vary depending on the company, so it is essential to compare different quotes before making your final decision. The most popular location to rent a car in Sofia is the airport.
Driving in Sofia
The roads in Sofia are generally in good condition but can be pretty busy during rush hour. Drivers in Sofia are typically aggressive and often do not follow the rules of the road. It is essential to be aware of this when driving in Sofia and always be prepared for unexpected situations. Road conditions can change quickly due to weather or construction, so it is essential always to be vigilant when driving. There are several traffic circles in Sofia, which can confuse drivers who are not familiar with them. Be sure to take your time when driving through these circles, and remember that vehicles on the inside lane have the right of way. If you are parking on the street in Sofia, check the parking signs carefully, as many roads have restrictions on where and how long you can park. Several parking garages in the city centre offer affordable rates and are a convenient option for those who need to park for an extended period.
- Age limits: Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups and these are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you are eligible to rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers. You must have held your Driving Licence for a minimum of 1 full year(s).
The minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 19.
The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 75.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements:
- Children in the car: Children under 150 cm. Should use the car's back seat, and children under three years must use a child car seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: Highways - the speed limit on highways is 140 km / h; the minimum is 60 km / h; on Interurban roads - the maximum permitted speed is 90 km / h; In cities - the maximum authorized speed is 50 km / h.
- Parking suggestions: When parking a car in Sofia, it's essential to be aware of the parking regulations. In most cases, you must park in the designated areas, usually marked with blue lines on the ground. If there are no blue lines, you can park wherever there is space, as long as you're not blocking traffic. Parking meters are also standard in Sofia, so pay for your spot. Fines for violating parking regulations can be hefty, so following the rules is best.
Car Hire in Sofia
Most popular car hire at Sofia
The most selected hire car in Sofia is the Fiat Panda, with the Toyota Aygo and Volkswagen Golf also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Sofia are mini, economy and standard categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Sofia
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Sofia. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Bulgaria.
- Sofia - Varna (441km, approx. 5,5-hour drive)
- Sofia - Burgas (382km, approx. 3,5-hour drive)
- Sofia - Plovdiv (144km, approx. 1,5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Sofia
Visitors can enjoy many great day trips from Sofia, Bulgaria. Some of the most popular destinations include the Rila Monastery, the Boyana Church, and the Seven Rila Lakes.
The Rila Monastery is a beautiful Orthodox monastery located in the Rila Mountains. It is one of Bulgaria's largest and most famous monasteries and is a significant tourist attraction. The monastery was founded in 927 AD and featured many stunning buildings, including the Church of Saint John the Baptist and the Tower of Hrisantema.
The Boyana Church is another popular tourist destination near Sofia. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and features some of the best-preserved medieval frescoes in the world. The church was built in the 10th century and has been well-maintained.
The Seven Rila Lakes are a popular hiking destination near Sofia. The lakes are located in the Rila Mountains and are a beautiful sight to see. They can be reached by hiking trails that start from the Rila Monastery or other points in the mountains.
What to see in Sofia
There are many things to see and do in Sofia, Bulgaria. The top attractions include the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, the National Palace of Culture, Borisova Gradina Park, and the Vitosha Boulevard. Sofia is also home to many museums, including the Museum of Socialist Art, the National Archaeological Museum, and the Bulgarian Natural History Museum. There is also plenty of shopping and dining options in Sofia, making it an excellent destination for a vacation or weekend getaway.
Drive your rental car beyond Sofia
The best road trips from Sofia, Bulgaria, take you through the beautiful countryside and stunning mountain scenery. One of the best routes is to head north towards Veliko Tarnovo, one of Bulgaria's oldest and most picturesque cities. As you wind your way up into the mountains, you'll be rewarded with breathtaking views of the river valley below. Once you reach Veliko Tarnovo, explore its charming old town, with its narrow streets and ancient architecture.
Another great option is to drive south towards Plovdiv, Bulgaria's second-largest city. You'll pass through some lovely rural areas before arriving in Plovdiv and being able to explore its well-preserved Roman ruins. Plovdiv is also known for its lively nightlife, so check out some of the trendy bars and restaurants in the city centre.
No matter which route you choose, you're sure to have a fantastic road trip experience in Bulgaria!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Sofia
Sofia, Bulgaria, is a beautiful place to indulge in some of the best food and drinks in the world. From traditional Bulgarian dishes to international cuisine, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Some of the most popular food and drink options in Sofia include:
- Bulgarian dishes such as banitsa, shopska salad, and tarator soup.
- Italian cuisine such as pizza and pasta.
- Seafood such as grilled octopus and salmon carpaccio.
- Turkish kebabs.
- Russian dumplings are called pirozhki.
In addition to restaurants, there are also many bars and cafes in Sofia where you can enjoy a drink or two. Some of the most popular places to drink in Sofia include:
- The Sofia Pub Crawl takes you to some of the best pubs and bars in the city.
- The 100 Pipers bar is known for its Scottish whisky selection.
- The Blues Bar features live music every night.
- The Boulevard Bistro & Wine Bar has a wide variety of wines from all over the world.
Whether you're looking for a delicious Bulgarian meal or an international cocktail, Sofia has something to offer everyone. With its vibrant nightlife and diverse food and drink scene, it's no wonder that Sofia is quickly becoming one of the top travel destinations in Europe.
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method, and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency in the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when you make a booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay for it to be repaired or fixed. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by rent a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. There is an excess, also known as a deductible, that comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Car Hire Locations in Sofia 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Sofia
Best of Bulgaria