Car Hire in Bergerac
Find your car hire
Cheap Car Hire Deals in Bergerac
Bergerac is a town in the Dordogne department in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region in southwestern France. The town was founded on the Dordogne River. Bergerac was named a City of Art and History by the Ministry of Culture in 2013.
This is a unique town centred around a castle dating back to the 11th century. Throughout history, it has been a staging post for travellers, merchants, pilgrims... In the past, there were many religious conflicts here. Bergerac was the centre of Protestantism for a long time. It was also an important wine region. The export of wine from Bergerac began in the 13th century. Today, this is considered an elite region for the production of some of the most famous French wines.
The river has always been an important transportation route for the people of Bergerac. Boats delivered wine from here to other parts of France thanks to the Dordogne. Today you can kayak, swim, go fishing, etc. at your leisure on this river.
The most beautiful part of Bergerac is undoubtedly the old town. With a maze of cobbled streets and half-timbered houses and many small squares with beautiful fountains in the middle, it is something special.
The scenery around the city is also breathtaking. So if you are planning a stop in Bergerac on a road trip through France, you definitely will not regret it. Maybe stay here for a few days so you can taste all the quality wines and have a good rest before moving on.
Basic info and car hire in Bergerac
- Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine region. France
- Population: 26,823
- Official language: French
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: In Bergerac, the summers are warm, the winters are very cold
- Holidays in Bergerac: For public holidays in France follow this link
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Bergerac are in good condition.
- Car hire in Bergerac: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Bergerac is at Bergerac airport and Bergerac Railway Station. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Bergerac!
Driving in Bergerac
In Bergerac, you will be able to drive quite easily. If you pick up your car at Bergerac Airport, you'll have a nice first drive from the airport, which is outside of town, to the center of Bergerac. The roads here are in good condition, so all you have to do is follow the rules and obey all the road signs. The police can be pretty strict here.
When you get to town, it's best to park your car in one of the many parking lots in town and then explore the old town on foot. A car is the best way to explore the area around the town. You will be able to enjoy fantastic scenes around you on the roads around Bergerac. There are many places of interest that you will want to visit. They are all accessible by car, so buckle up and drive safely.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in France is 18 years.
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if you are a non-EU license holder.
- Additional papers: Identification(passports for all people in the car), the car's registration certificate, and your M.O.T. certificate (for cars over three years old, proving the vehicle meets environmental and road safety standards), a valid driving license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in France)
- Additional requirements: High-visibility, reflective vest for every person in the car, Warning triangle, Full set of replacement bulbs for head and taillights, Spare pair of glasses, Headlight converters (required if driving from, "Crit'Air" badge (required in central Paris), Breathalyzer.
- Children in the car: Children under 13 must be in car seats or wearing seat belts appropriate for their age and height. Babies and infants about a year old or under should always be positioned in rear-facing car seats.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: There is a variable maximum speed on French roads, depending on weather conditions. In dry weather, 2- or 3-lane rural roads are limited to 80 km/h, 4-lane expressways (in rural areas) are limited to 110 km/h, and motorways (in rural areas if classified as highways) are limited to 130 km/h. In rainy conditions, the limits are lowered to 80, 100, and 110 km/h respectively. The 50 km/h speed limit in cities is independent of weather conditions. The general speed limit is reduced to 50 km/h on all roads in fog or other poor visibility conditions when visibility is less than 50 meters.
- Parking suggestions: In the city area, you must pay for all street parking from Monday through Saturday from 9:00 am-8:00 pm, and you pay per hour. Parking is free on Sundays and holidays. Generally, you can park for up to 6 hours at a time if you do not have a resident's permit, and up to a week at a time with a permit.
Car Hire in Bergerac
Most popular car hire at Bergerac
The most selected hire car in Bergerac is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Bergerac are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Bergerac
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Bergerac. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the France.
Bergerac-Perigueux (48km with approximately 45 minutes of drive)
Bergerac-Marmande (60km with approximately 1 hour of drive)
Bergerac-Bordeaux (120km with approximately 1,5 hours of drive)
Bergerac-Toulouse (210km with approximately 2-2,5 hours of drive)
What to see in Bergerac
There are many historical sites to visit in Bergerac. Place Pelissier is a beautiful square where the statue of Cyrano de Bergerac stands. Another square that will impress you is the Place de la Mirpur. This small square has a special atmosphere and is surrounded by old half-timbered houses. In the heart of the old town stands the Maison de Vins. A beautiful monastery from the 12th century. Today it hosts many exhibitions throughout the year.
They also have many museums that might interest you. One of them is the Musee du Vin et da la Batellerie, where you can see the old equipment that used to be used for winemaking. Another museum that is worth a visit is the Musee de Tabac. Since this region was known for the production of tobacco, you can learn all about the tobacco industry in this museum. Musee Costi is a museum with a collection of statues by the sculptor Constantin - "Costi" - Papachristpoulos.
There are also two impressive castles here in surrounding of Bergerac, the Château de Lanquais and the Château de Monbazillac. You can visit both and you will be fascinated by the interiors of these architectural masterpieces.
Drive your rental car beyond Bergerac
If you are in Bergerac, it is best to rent a car and take a trip to the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region to discover all its beauties. This is a must for any car lover. Long roads between vineyards with stunning views of the beautiful countryside all around. Quaint villages and charming little country towns where the friendly locals will tell you amazing stories and myths about this region. You need to experience it.
You can visit many wine routes and learn about their products in addition to tasting delicious wine. There are also many great places that you can visit especially with kids. There are many caves and water parks in this region. You can also try many activities on a river. There are also some great towns to visit like Eymet or the Jardins de Sardy. The small village of Issigeac is also a very popular destination because when you enter this village, you feel like time has stopped. Everything here is like it was in the Middle Ages. Another popular destination is the castle of Bridoire. If you are more of the adventure type, you can visit the Maxange Grotto.
Places to visit: Saint Avit-Sénieur, Beaumont du Périgord, Montaigne Castle, Monbazillac Castle, the vineyards of Bergerac and Duras...
Enjoy the culture in Bergerac
Where to eat, drink, and party in Bergerac
Here in Bergerac, as everywhere else in France, gastronomy plays an important part in the lives of the people. The result is delicious food, combined of course with excellent wine. Everything in the cuisine here in Bergerac is related to wine in some way. Many recipes include wine as one of the ingredients. The people here will tell you exactly what wine to drink with each dish on your plate. The culinary arts here in Bergerac are quite an experience.
Throughout the town, you will find many great restaurants to eat at. You should also stop by the market where you can also try some delicious local specialities. Most of them are based on duck, truffles, strawberries, cheese, and wine.
Best restaurants in Bergerac:
Le Bistro D'en Face
D'un Terroir a l'Autre
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in France?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in France?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old but drivers with this age can rent only Mini and Economy Car Categories. Renters aged 25 and older may rent all Car Categories. With some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in France?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in France with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in France?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in France?
Drivers license issued in France or within the European Union does not have to provide an international drivers license. For drivers with a license issued outside of the EU will need to have an international driving license as well as your standard driving license. You must have both licenses with you at all times while driving a car in France.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in France?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in France?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Renault Twingo and Citroen C3 often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in France?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise Rent a Car, Keddy by Europcar, Alamo Rent a Car, and GoldCar.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in France?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Citroen C3, Renault Twingo, Peugeot 308, Toyota Yaris.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for France?
Most car rentals in France offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
How to hire a car in France?
You can hire a car in France with Orbit Car Hire in simple steps. First, you define where you would like to pick up and return the car, enter dates and times and you can search for your cheap France car hire.
How much is it to rent a car in France?
It will depend on where in France you would like to rent a car and at what period. The summer months can be more expensive than during the winter. You can find prices down to 12 GBP per day.
Can you rent an automatic car in France?
Yes, you can find a wide range of automatic rental cars in France. The best way to find your automatic car hire in France is to filter the "Automatic" transmission when searching for your vehicle.
Can I rent a car in France?
Yes, you can rent a car in France in simple steps with Orbit Car Hire. You just need to be over 21 years of age and have held the driving license for a minimum of one year (This can depend on the car hire companies)
Car Hire Locations in Bergerac 2 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Bergerac
Best of France