Car Hire in Nimes
Find your car hire
Nimes is a very charming French city. It has a mighty Roman amphitheater that attracts tourists.
The Roman road Via Domitia was built through the city and connected the territory of the then Roman provinces of the Apennines and Iberian Peninsulas. Many tourists stop in the city to visit one of the best-preserved Roman aqueducts - the Pont du Gard.
Pont du Gard
It is one of the best-preserved ancient Roman aqueducts and one of the most magnificent remains of the Roman Empire. Built-in 19 BC, it was part of an aqueduct almost 50kilometers long that ensured that water from the Fontaines d'Eure springs reached the Roman city of Nemausus (modern Nîmes).
The bridge was built without mortar, some of the stones weigh up to six tons, and all were carefully shaped to form together with a truly solid and impressive structure. The Pont du Gard was inscribed on the World Heritage List UNESCO in 1985.
The bridge was built on three levels. It is 49 meters high, the longest level is 275 meters long. The entire aqueduct drops only 17 meters along its length, while the bridge slopes only 2.5 centimeters, which testifies to the incredible precision of the Roman engineers, even though they used only the simplest technology.
Basic info and car hire in Nimes
- Location: In the department of Gard, in the south of France.
- Population: 137,000 (2019 )
- Official language: French
- Currency: EUR
- Weather: Nîmes is one of the warmest cities in France. The city has a Mediterranean climate that is more humid than a typical Mediterranean climate.
- Holidays in Nimes: Between its contemporary architecture, the discreet grandeur of its private villas, and the splendor of the Jardins de la Fontaine, laid out in the eighteenth century on a Roman site, Nimes offers so much to the visitor.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Across most of France, the roads are in excellent condition.
- Car hire in Nimes: Renting a car in Nimes Airport or Nimes Railway Station via Orbit Car Hire gives you a lot of freedom to travel throughout France at your own pace. With a wide selection of vehicles, you can be sure to find the vehicle that suits your needs and will benefit you the most on your trip.
Driving in Nimes
There are three major French roads in France: Autoroutes, National Roads and departmental roads. Autoroutes is the fastest option and in English, this road is called a highway, motorway or freeway depending on where you are coming from. Department roads is a good choice if you are not in a hurry and also want to enjoy scenic routes. It's a good choice for exploring new towns along the way and getting a glimpse of the vast French countryside, as this road mostly passes through towns and villages. National roads are the usual shortest routes between major centers such as ports, cities, and airports.
It is true that in such a small town as Nimes, it is very convenient to walk, as you can reach most of the attractions on foot. But if you do not like walking, remember that you can always hire a car through Orbit Car Hire, which is definitely a good way to get around Nimes The next option is also to travel by bus, as they go pretty much everywhere from Monday to Sunday, even on holidays.
- Age limits: 21 (Minimum age may vary according to car hire companies. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. To hire a car, it is required that a driver has held a license for more than one year).
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if your driver's license is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driving license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in France).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, spare wheels are required as well as a hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required when talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under the age of twelve, or taller than 4ft 11in / 1.50 meters, may travel in the front passenger seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right.
- Lights: Headlights are turned on at all times (day and night).
- General speed limits: 80 mph / 130kph on the Motorways, 49 mph / 80 kph Main roads Outside Built-up Areas, and 31 mph/50 kph within Built-up Areas.
- Parking suggestions: Mostly all parking lots are chargeable where the average price per hour is around GBP 1,90/ € 2.20.
What to see in Nimes
In Nimes, you will find several amazing and breathtaking places. Because of its mix of history, architecture, and modern life, it is a must-stop for anyone traveling through the South of France. Here are some of the places we highly recommend you visit:
Stroll through the historic center with its beautiful streets, where you will find the Crocodile Fountain. You should also visit the street of the merchants and the street of the aspic.
A must-stop is Nimes Cathedral: A beautiful Roman Catholic cathedral. It is believed that the cathedral was built on the site where the Temple of Augustus was first built.
The Temple of Diane is another attractive destination in Nimes, located within walking distance of the Jardins de la Fontaine. This temple was not actually a temple, but was originally built as a Roman bath and later converted into a church. Unfortunately, this building was hardly damaged during the religious wars.
The Jardins de la Fontaine are beautiful gardens that are considered one of the finest attractions in Nimes. They were laid out in the 18th century and have life-size statues, which adds to their beauty. A beautiful fountain and various canals, as well as all the attributes mentioned above.
Drive your rental car beyond Nimes
If you have extra time while you are staying in Nimes, hire a car via Orbit Car Hire and travel to the Pont du Gard, 15 miles northeast of Nîmes. This gigantic aqueduct was part of the system that brought water to ancient Nemausus. The nearly 200-foot-high Pont du Gard, which spans a wide valley, is a feast for the eyes. Next to it is an excellent museum explaining its history and use.
Enjoy the culture in Nimes
What to eat in Nimes
Try the local specialty, brandade de morue, made with salt cod. The dish is served hot or cold. Poaching the fish in milk extracts the salt, and then the crushed cod is mixed with olive oil to make a fluffy paste. Serve it as a spread with drinks or as an appetiser. Here is Tasha Powell's recipe for Salt Cod Gratin Brandade de Morue.
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you have to choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at the time of pick-up.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has its own security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and in our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not in relation to the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental in order to avoid any unexpected surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the time of pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or can change the price of the rental.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
Car Hire Locations in Nimes 2 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Nimes
Best of France