Car Hire in Invercargill
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Invercargill
Invercargill is a town in the Southland region of New Zealand. It is the southernmost and second-most populous city in New Zealand and the largest city in the South Island. As of June 2016, the population was 55,671. Invercargill is located in the heart of New Zealand's vast Southland region, bounded by the Rakaia River to the north and the Waiau River to the east. It lies approximately 225 km (140 miles) south of Dunedin and 315 km (196 miles) south-east of Christchurch. The city covers an area of 3,419 square kilometres (1,328 sq mi), almost half of which is rural.
Basic info and car hire in Invercargill
- Location: South Island
- Population: 57.100 (2020)
- Official language: English
- Currency: New Zealand dollar (NZ$)
- Weather: Invercargill experiences a temperate oceanic climate with cool to cold winters and mild to warm summers. The average temperature in summer is 17.5 °C (63.5 °F) and 6.5 °C (43.7 °F) in winter.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road conditions in New Zealand are unique and often challenging. The diverse terrain means that there's never just one way to get from point A, the country has many different types of roads which might challenge your vehicle or make it difficult for other drivers around you. Outside main city areas most people drive on single lane rural highways without barriers between them but sometimes they have gravel surfaces too!
- Car hire in Invercargill: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Invercargill is Invercargill Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Invercargill!
Driving in Invercargill
Invercargill is a great place to drive, with wide roads and little traffic. The biggest challenge for drivers is the wind, which can be strong and gusty. Drivers should also be careful in the town centre as there are many pedestrians and cyclists. There is plenty of parking in Invercargill, so you can get around easily by car.
When it comes to driving in New Zealand, there are strict alcohol limits for both adults and teens. For people aged 20 or over the limit is 250 micrograms (mcg) of alcohol per litre of breath with a blood-alcohol content of 50 mg/100 ml. For drivers under 20, there is zero tolerance for drunk driving.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 18. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups and these are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you are eligible to rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if your National Driving Licence is not in English. Residents of countries that cannot issue International Driving Permits may present an official translation of their National Driving Licence.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers. Your Driving Licence must have at least 6 months of validity remaining.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: Under New Zealand law, all children under the age of seven must use an approved child seat that is suitable for their age and size. Children aged seven must be secured in a child seat if one is available in the vehicle.
- Driving side of the road: Left Side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: The speed limit of 50 km/h urban and built-up areas, as well as 100 on expressways or motorways, is by default. Other higher speeds are 110km per hour
- Parking suggestions: Parking is simple in Invercargill. The first 30 minutes are free with an hourly rate of 1,5 dollars after that.
Car Hire in Invercargill
Most popular car hire at Invercargill
The most selected hire car in Invercargill is the Suzuki Swift, with the Toyota Yaris and Mitsubishi ASX also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Invercargill are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Invercargill
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Invercargill. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the New Zealand.
- Invercargill - Dunedin (204km, approx. 2,5-hour drive)
- Invercargill - Queenstown (188km, approx 2,5-hour drive)
- Invercargill - Christchurch (564km, approx. 7-hour drive)
What to see in Invercargill
Invercargill is a great place to visit if you want to see some of New Zealand's most beautiful scenery. The town is located on the south coast and is surrounded by mountains, glaciers and forests. Invercargill also has some interesting museums and parks.
If you are looking for a good place to start your sightseeing tour, you should visit Queens Park. This park is located in the heart of the city and offers beautiful gardens, a playground and a duck pond. If you are interested in history, be sure to visit the Southland Museum and Art Gallery. This museum features exhibitions on local culture and history. Another popular tourist attraction is Bluff, which is about 30 minutes from Invercargill. Bluff is known for its rugged coastline and impressive views of the surrounding landscape.
If you are looking for outdoor activities, check out the nearby glaciers and forests. There are also several golf courses in the area and the beaches are great for walking or swimming. Whatever you choose to do, be sure to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Invercargill!
Drive your rental car beyond Invercargill
a great day trip is to Bluff, which is about an hour and a half drive from Invercargill. Bluff is a small town on the southernmost tip of New Zealand known for its seafood. There are many restaurants in Bluff that serve fresh seafood, which you should definitely try when you are there. There is also a lighthouse in Bluff from which you have a great view of the surrounding area.
Another great day trip from Invercargill is a trip to the Catlins. The Catlins are a region of New Zealand known for its beautiful scenery and wildlife. There are many hiking trails, waterfalls and other natural attractions in the Catlins. The Catlins are a great place if you want to see New Zealand's unique wildlife, such as kiwis and seals.
Another great day trip from Invercargill is Queenstown. Queenstown is about a three-hour drive from Invercargill and is one of the most popular destinations in New Zealand. In Queenstown, there are many opportunities for hiking, skiing, rafting and much more. There are also many restaurants and bars in Queenstown, so you can enjoy a night out on the town.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Invercargill
If you fancy something a little more upmarket, head to The Pig and Whistle. This restaurant serves classic British cuisine such as bangers and mash and steak and kidney pie. There is also an extensive wine list.
If you are looking for something sweet, stop by The Chocolatier for delicious handmade chocolates. They have a wide range of flavours, including classics like hazelnut and salted caramel, as well as more exotic varieties like chilli and wasabi.
Finally, the Invercargill Brewery is a must for beer lovers. This brewery produces some of the best craft beers in the country and has a tasting room where you can try them all. It also serves delicious pub grub.
So if you are looking for a great place to eat or drink in Invercargill, New Zealand, you will not be disappointed. These are just a few of the many great options available.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in New Zealand?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in New Zealand?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in New Zealand?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in New Zealand with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in New Zealand?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in New Zealand?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I get the cheapest car in New Zealand?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in New Zealand?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla, and Kai Cerato often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in New Zealand?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise Rent a Car, Alamo Rent a Car, National Rent a Car, Yesaway Rent a Car, Europcar Rent a Car and Keddy Rent a Car.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in New Zealand?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Corolla, Toyota Rav4, Mitsubishi ASX, Toyota Camry.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for New Zealand?
Most car rentals in New Zealand offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Invercargill
Best of New Zealand