Car Hire in Nelson
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Nelson
Nelson is a city in the Tasmania region of New Zealand. It is known for its arts and culture and is also a popular tourist destination. Nelson is home to several museums and galleries, including the Nelson Provincial Museum and the Suter Art Gallery. The city is also surrounded by beautiful scenery, including mountains, forests and beaches. Visitors to Nelson can enjoy a variety of activities, including hiking, fishing and surfing.
Basic info and car hire in Nelson
- Location: South Island
- Population: 52.900 (2020)
- Official language: English
- Currency: New Zealand dollar (NZ$)
- Weather: The weather in Nelson is temperate and mild, with average temperatures ranging from 9°C to 16°C. Nelson has a moderate climate, with rainfall spread evenly throughout the year.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road conditions in New Zealand are unique and often challenging. The diverse terrain means that there's never just one way to get from point A, the country has many different types of roads which might challenge your vehicle or make it difficult for other drivers around you. Outside main city areas most people drive on single lane rural highways without barriers between them but sometimes they have gravel surfaces too!
- Car hire in Nelson: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Nelson is Nelson Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Nelson!
Driving in Nelson
When driving in Nelson, be aware of the narrow roads and steep hills. It is also advisable to do a vehicle check before driving and ensure all fluid levels are correct and tyres are at the correct pressure. Driving in New Zealand can be an enjoyable experience, but motorists should be careful on rural roads as they can be winding and narrow.
When it comes to driving in New Zealand, there are strict alcohol limits for both adults and teens. For people aged 20 or over the limit is 250 micrograms (mcg) of alcohol per litre of breath with a blood-alcohol content of 50 mg/100 ml. For drivers under 20, there is zero tolerance for drunk driving.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 18. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups and these are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you are eligible to rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if your National Driving Licence is not in English. Residents of countries that cannot issue International Driving Permits may present an official translation of their National Driving Licence.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers. Your Driving Licence must have at least 6 months of validity remaining.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: Under New Zealand law, all children under the age of seven must use an approved child seat that is suitable for their age and size. Children aged seven must be secured in a child seat if one is available in the vehicle.
- Driving side of the road: Left Side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: The speed limit of 50 km/h urban and built-up areas, as well as 100 on expressways or motorways, is by default. Other higher speeds are 110km per hour
- Parking suggestions: Parking is easy to find. The first hour is for free and after that, the fee is 2 dollars per hour.
Car Hire in Nelson
Most popular car hire at Nelson
The most selected hire car in Nelson is the Suzuki Swift, with the Kia Cerato and Mitsubishi ASX also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Nelson are economy and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Nelson
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Nelson. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the New Zealand.
- Nelson - Blenheim (123km, approx. 2-hour drive)
- Nelson - Christchurch (409km, approx. 5-hour drive)
- Nelson - Queenstown (804km, approx. 11-hour drive)
What to see in Nelson
There is a lot to see and do in Nelson, New Zealand. Some of the top attractions are the Botanic Gardens, St John the Baptist Cathedral and Cable Bay Winery. You can also go hiking and cycling, swimming and kayaking in the beautiful bays around Nelson. There are also a number of art galleries and museums worth visiting, including the Nelson Provincial Museum and the Suter Art Gallery. With its beautiful scenery and abundance of activities, Nelson is definitely a destination not to be missed!
Drive your rental car beyond Nelson
Nelson is located in the heart of New Zealand's wine country and is an ideal base for exploring the area. There are a number of great day trips from Nelson, including a wine tour, a hike to the top of Mount Nelson or a visit to Abel Tasman National Park. The city is also close to several other popular destinations, such as Christchurch and Queenstown. With its charming city centre, lush forests and beautiful beaches, Nelson is definitely worth a visit!
- Wine tour of the nearby wineries
- Hike to the top of Mount Nelson for breathtaking views of the city and surrounding area.
- Visit Abel Tasman National Park, known for its beautiful beaches and hiking trails
- Explore the charming coastal town of Kaikoura, known for its marine life
- Visit Christchurch, the largest city on New Zealand's South Island
- Take a scenic drive through the mountains to Queenstown, a popular tourist destination in the Southern Alps.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Nelson
There are many great places to eat and drink in Nelson, New Zealand. Some of the best restaurants are Elements, The Boatshed and The Naked Fish. There are also many great pubs and bars in the city, including The Free House, The Bridge Street Inn and The Hop Garden. No matter what type of food or drink you are looking for, Nelson has something to offer. So when you visit this charming city, be sure to check out some of the excellent eateries and drink shops. You will not be disappointed!
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in New Zealand?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in New Zealand?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in New Zealand?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in New Zealand with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in New Zealand?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in New Zealand?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I get the cheapest car in New Zealand?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in New Zealand?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla, and Kai Cerato often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in New Zealand?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise Rent a Car, Alamo Rent a Car, National Rent a Car, Yesaway Rent a Car, Europcar Rent a Car and Keddy Rent a Car.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in New Zealand?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Corolla, Toyota Rav4, Mitsubishi ASX, Toyota Camry.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for New Zealand?
Most car rentals in New Zealand offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Nelson 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Nelson
Best of New Zealand