Car Hire in Melbourne
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Melbourne
Known as the cultural capital of Australia, Melbourne is a city that has something for everyone. From the world-class museums and galleries to the vibrant nightlife and shopping districts, Melbourne has something to offer tourists and locals alike. The city also has a diverse culinary offering, making it the perfect destination for foodies. Whether you are looking for a quiet weekend away or an action-packed holiday, Melbourne is sure to delight you.
One of Melbourne's most popular attractions is its sports venues. The city is home to several major sports teams, including the AFL's Carlton Football Club and the NRL's Melbourne Storm. Whether you are a sports fan or not, Melbourne's sporting venues have something for everyone. From horse racing and cricket to football and basketball, the city has it all.
Basic info and car hire in Melbourne
- Location: Victoria
- Population: 5.078 million (2019)
- Official language: English
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Weather: In Melbourne, Australia, the weather is usually mild. The summers are warm and the winters are cool. The spring and fall seasons are temperate.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The condition of the roads in Melbourne, Australia varies greatly depending on the time of day and weather conditions. During the daytime, the roads are usually in good condition, but they can become quite slippery during rain or wet weather.
- Car hire in Melbourne: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Melbourne is Melbourne Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Melbourne!
Driving in Melbourne
The best way to explore Melbourne is by car. The city has a well-developed network of roads and highways where you can easily get around. There is also plenty of parking, so you do not have to worry about finding a space.
When driving in Melbourne, you should follow the traffic rules. There is a 50 km/h (about 30 mph) speed limit on most roads, so make sure you stick to it. There are also many one-way streets in the city, so pay attention to the signs.
If you are driving in Australia for the first time, you should know that there are some differences between the rules here and at home. For example, drivers in Australia must always use the indicator when changing lanes or turning, even if no one is around.
Finally, be aware of the heavy traffic in Melbourne. There are many cars and buses in the city, so it can sometimes be difficult to get around. Be patient and take your time and you will enjoy everything Melbourne has to offer.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 21. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Please note that Young/Senior Driver fees will only be displayed correctly if you entered your age correctly in the search criteria. If you add Additional Drivers to your rental and any of them are considered Young/Senior Drivers, you may have to pay both an Additional Driver Fee and a Young/Senior Driver Fee.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). English translations of foreign licences are also accepted.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: The minimum legal requirements for the use of child car seats in Australia are based on age: children under six months must use a rear-facing child seat with an integral harness. Children aged six months to four years must use a rear-facing or forward-facing child seat with an integrated harness. Children aged four to seven years must use a forward-facing child seat with an integrated belt or a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt. Children aged seven and over must use a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt or a standard seat with an adult seat belt.
- Driving side of the road: Left Side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: In Victoria, speed limits vary between 10km/h-110km/h.
- Parking suggestions:
Car Hire in Melbourne
Most popular car hire at Melbourne
The most selected hire car in Melbourne is the Toyota Yaris, with the Toyota Corolla and Mitsubishi ASX also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Melbourne are mini and compact car categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Melbourne
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Melbourne. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Australia.
- Melbourne - Sydney (983km, approx 11-hour drive)
- Melbourne - Canberra (667km, approx 7-hour drive)
- Melbourne - Brisbane (1.667km, approx 19-hour drive)
- Melbourne - Adelaide (726km, approx 8-hour drive)
How can I save money on my rental car?
- Save money by booking and being charged the best possible price
- Book with a name you know, with brands that have shown their quality before
- No hidden fees or costs. Orbit Car Hire has transparent pricing policies.
- Pay on Arrival option.
- Carefree travel with Orbit Car Hire
- Secure, eco-friendly cars guaranteed to meet your needs
Popular day trips from Melbourne
There are many great day trips you can take from Melbourne, Australia. Here are some of the most popular ones:
1. the Mornington Peninsula is a great place for a day trip. There are many wineries and beaches to visit, and you can even catch a ferry to Tasmania from here!
2. Phillip Island is another popular destination for day-trippers. You can visit the Phillip Island Wildlife Park, take a nature walk or watch the penguins come ashore at sunset.
3. the Healesville Sanctuary is a must for animal lovers. Here you can see koalas, kangaroos and other Australian wildlife up close.
4. the Yarra Valley is a great place for wine tasting and there are also many charming villages and landscapes to discover.
5. the Dandenong Ranges are a beautiful destination with many walking trails, gardens and scenic viewpoints.
Whatever your interests, you are sure to have a great day trip from Melbourne!
What to see in Melbourne
There are many things to see in Melbourne, Australia. Major attractions include the Royal Botanic Gardens, the Shrine of Remembrance and Federation Square. The Royal Botanic Gardens is a beautiful park in the heart of the city. It features stunning gardens, a lake and several interesting buildings. The Shrine of Remembrance is a war memorial commemorating Australian soldiers who died in battle. It is an important part of Melbourne's history and culture. Federation Square is a public square in the centre of the city. It houses several museums, art galleries and theatres. There is also a wide range of restaurants and bars in the area. Melbourne is a vibrant city that has something for everyone
Drive your rental car beyond Melbourne
There are many great road trips from Melbourne, Australia. Here are just a few of our favourites:
The Great Ocean Road is one of the most popular road trips from Melbourne. This scenic drive takes you along the coast, past some of Australia's most beautiful beaches. Be sure to stop at Loch Ard Gorge and the Twelve Apostles for stunning views.
Another great option is a drive to Mount Buffalo National Park. This stunning park is home to snow-capped mountains, crystal clear lochs and lush forests. It is worth a visit if you are looking for beautiful scenery.
If you are looking for something adventurous, why not drive through the Grampians National Park? This park is home to some of Australia's most impressive rock formations. There are also many hiking trails and wildlife to see.
Whichever road trip you choose, we are sure you'll have fun exploring beautiful Melbourne.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Melbourne
There are many great places to eat and drink in Melbourne, Australia. Some of the best places to eat are in the city centre, while others can be found in the surrounding neighbourhoods of the city.
Some of the best restaurants in the city centre include Din Tai Fung, Flower Drum and Maha. Din Tai Fung is a popular restaurant serving delicious dumplings, while Flower Drum is a Michelin-starred restaurant specialising in Cantonese cuisine. Maha is a unique restaurant offering an eclectic mix of Indian, Thai, Malaysian and Sri Lankan dishes.
If you are looking for a more casual restaurant, there are plenty of great options too. The Smith Street Bandroom, for example, is a great place to grab pizza, burgers and other pub grub, while the Palace Hotel offers some of the best bar food in Melbourne.
If you are looking for somewhere to grab a drink, there are plenty of options in Melbourne too. Some great places to go are the Rooftop Bar, The Emerson and Eau De Vie. The Rooftop Bar is located on the top floor of a building in the city centre and offers stunning views of the Melbourne skyline, while The Emerson is an old-school cocktail bar that offers an extensive drinks menu. Eau De Vie is an upscale speakeasy serving unique cocktails and offering a relaxed atmosphere.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Australia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Australia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, but for car groups such as Luxury, Premium, Fullsize, SUVs, the minimum rental age is 30 years. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Australia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Australia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
What is the cheapest rental car in Australia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris and Kia Picanto often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Australia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Keddy, Alamo and National rent a Car Companies.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Australia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Corolla.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Australia?
Most car rentals in Australia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Do I need an international driving license in Australia?
An International Driving license is mandatory if the driver's license is written in a language or in characters that cannot be read in the renting country.
Car Hire Locations in Melbourne 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Melbourne
Best of Australia