Car Hire in Perth
Find your car rental
Cheap Car Hire Deals in Perth
Perth is the capital and largest city of the Australian state of Western Australia. It is located on the Swan River, about 25 kilometres (16 miles) east of Fremantle. Perth has a population of 2 million (2018), making it the fourth largest city in Australia. The metropolitan region has a population of around 3 million (2018). Perth was founded in 1829 as the Swan River Colony by British settlers, although the place had been inhabited by indigenous Australians for tens of thousands of years. The city served as the seat of government from 1832 to 1856.
Perth is a major financial centre in Australia and the region, and a centre for mining and resources. The city's economy is diversified with significant manufacturing, agriculture and service sectors. Perth is also home to several major cultural institutions, including the Art Gallery of Western Australia, the Perth International Arts Festival and the Perth Fringe Festival. The city is also known for its outdoor lifestyle and its many beaches.
Basic info and car hire in Perth
- Location: Western Australia (WA)
- Population: 1.985 million
- Official language: English
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Weather: The weather in Perth is typically sunny and warm, with a few rainy days each month. The summer temperatures can reach up to 33 degrees Celsius, while the winter temperatures usually stay around 16 degrees Celsius.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The condition of the roads in Perth, Australia varies greatly depending on the time of day and weather conditions. During the daytime, the roads are usually in good condition, but they can become quite slippery during rain or wet weather.
- Car hire in Perth: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Perth is Perth Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Perth!
Driving in Perth
Driving in Perth is a unique experience. The roads are very wide and the traffic moves quite fast. It can be a bit intimidating at first, but it's worth getting used to. It is best to drive at off-peak times when the traffic is a little less heavy.
There are a few things to keep in mind when driving in Perth. Firstly, always keep to the left side of the road. Secondly, when turning into a road, give way to oncoming traffic. And finally, watch out for cyclists and pedestrians - they can sometimes be difficult to see.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 21. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Please note that Young/Senior Driver fees will only be displayed correctly if you entered your age correctly in the search criteria. If you add Additional Drivers to your rental and any of them are considered Young/Senior Drivers, you may have to pay both an Additional Driver Fee and a Young/Senior Driver Fee.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). English translations of foreign licences are also accepted.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: The minimum legal requirements for the use of child car seats in Australia are based on age: children under six months must use a rear-facing child seat with an integral harness. Children aged six months to four years must use a rear-facing or forward-facing child seat with an integrated harness. Children aged four to seven years must use a forward-facing child seat with an integrated belt or a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt. Children aged seven and over must use a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt or a standard seat with an adult seat belt.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: In Perth, speed limits vary between 10km/h-110km/h.
- Parking suggestions: The City is continuing one-hour free parking on Hay Street in East Perth and West Perth, and Royal Street in East Perth. To enjoy one-hour free parking in 1P bays in the free parking areas, obtain a 1-hour no fee payable ticket from the ticket machine and display it on the dash of your vehicle. Free on-street parking in standard parking bays across the city after 6 pm, seven nights a week. No fee timed on-street parking on Sundays.
Car Hire in Perth
Most popular car hire at Perth
The most selected hire car in Perth is the Kia Picanto, with the Toyota Yaris and Toyota Corolla also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Perth are mini, economy and compact categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Perth
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Perth. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Australia.
How can I save money on my rental car?
- Save money by booking and being charged the best possible price
- Book with a name you know, with brands that have shown their quality before
- No hidden fees or costs. Orbit Car Hire has transparent pricing policies.
- Pay on Arrival option.
- Carefree travel with Orbit Car Hire
- Secure, eco-friendly cars guaranteed to meet your needs
Popular day trips from Perth
From Perth, there are many great day trips to keep you busy and entertained. Some of the best are the Pinnacles Desert, Margaret River, Rottnest Island and Kings Park.
The Pinnacles Desert is a fascinating destination that is well worth a visit. The desert consists of thousands of limestone towers rising from the sand and it is an impressive sight to behold. There are also many activities to enjoy in the area such as hiking and wildlife watching.
Margaret River is another popular day trip from Perth. The region is known for its world-class wineries, stunning scenery and delicious food. There are also many activities in the area such as surfing, kayaking and cycling.
Rottnest Island is a beautiful island located just off the coast of Perth. The island is home to an abundance of wildlife including quokkas, dolphins and seals. There are also many opportunities for swimming, snorkelling and cycling on the island.
Kings Park is a large park in the heart of Perth. The park is home to beautiful gardens, breathtaking views of the city skyline and many activities such as walking and cycling. Kings Park is also home to the Botanic Gardens, one of the largest botanic gardens in Australia.
What to see in Perth
There is plenty to see and do in Perth, Australia. Some of the top attractions are Kings Park, the Swan River, Fremantle and Rottnest Island.
Kings Park is a beautiful park located on the banks of the Swan River. It offers stunning views of the river and the city skyline. The park is also home to a variety of gardens, sculptures and walking trails.
The Swan River is a popular place for fishing, sailing and kayaking. There are also several parks and restaurants along its banks.
Fremantle is a charming harbour town located south of Perth. There are a variety of shops, cafes and restaurants here. Fremantle Prison is also worth a visit.
Rottnest Island is a small island off the coast of Perth. It is home to some of Australia's best beaches and abundant wildlife, including quokkas and dolphins. Rottnest Island can be reached by ferry from Fremantle or Perth.
In addition, there are many other things to see and do in Perth, including the Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth Zoo and the Bell Tower. Whatever your interests, you will find something to please you in Perth.
Drive your rental car beyond Perth
Many great trips can be taken from Perth, Australia. One of the most popular trips is to Margaret River, known for its world-class wine region and stunning coastal scenery. The drive takes about three hours and there are many places to stop along the way, including the historic town of Busselton and the beaches of Yallingup and Dunsborough.
Another popular excursion is the drive to Kalbarri National Park, which offers some of the most beautiful coastal scenery in Western Australia. The park is home to rugged cliffs, pristine beaches and beautiful wildflowers. It's worth stopping at Murchison River Gorge, one of the most scenic spots in the park. The drive to Kalbarri National Park takes about four hours, but it is worth it for the breathtaking views you will see along the way.
If you want to take a longer road trip, you can drive to Broome, which is in the far northwest of Western Australia. The drive takes about 24 hours, but it is worth it for the stunning scenery and unique attractions Broome has to offer. There is plenty to see and do in Broome, from exploring the beaches and coral reefs to exploring the rich history of the region in museums such as the Broome Historical Society Museum.
Whichever road trip you choose, you are sure to have fun exploring Western Australia's stunning coastline.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Perth
Perth has a variety of places to eat and drink, from traditional Australian pubs to trendy cafes. If you are looking for somewhere casual to eat or drink, here are some recommendations:
Lord Forrest in Northbridge is a popular pub with a great selection of beers on tap. It also serves traditional pub food such as burgers and chicken parma.
If you are looking for something more sophisticated, The Wildflower in Perth's CBD is a good choice. This restaurant offers an ever-changing menu of modern Australian cuisine. It also has an impressive wine list.
If you are looking for a café with good coffee and cake, check out The Naked Bean in Mount Lawley. This relaxed café is always busy, but well worth the wait.
If you want to experience some of Perth's local culture, head to The Sheaf in Northbridge. This pub is popular with locals and offers an extensive menu of Australian and international beers as well as traditional pub food.
Whatever your taste, there's somewhere to eat and drink in Perth!
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Australia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Australia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, but for car groups such as Luxury, Premium, Fullsize, SUVs, the minimum rental age is 30 years. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Australia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Australia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
What is the cheapest rental car in Australia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris and Kia Picanto often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Australia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Keddy, Alamo and National rent a Car Companies.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Australia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Corolla.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Australia?
Most car rentals in Australia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Do I need an international driving license in Australia?
An International Driving license is mandatory if the driver's license is written in a language or in characters that cannot be read in the renting country.
Car Hire Locations in Perth 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Perth
Best of Australia