Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Sydney
Sydney is the largest city in Australia with a population of over 4.5 million. Located on the country's east coast, the city is known for its iconic landmarks, including the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Sydney is also a major financial and commercial centre in Australia. The city's economy is fuelled by its strong tourism industry, which attracts millions of visitors each year. Sydney is also home to several universities and research institutions, making the city an important centre for education and innovation.
Basic info and car hire in Sydney
- Location: New South Wales
- Population: 5.312 million (2019)
- Official language: English
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Weather: The weather in Sydney is temperate with mild, wet winters and hot, dry summers.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The roads in Sydney are some of the best in the world. They are well maintained and very smooth. This makes for a pleasant driving experience, especially as the city is known for its traffic jams. There are also many road signs and markings to help drivers find their way.
- Car hire in Sydney: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Sydney is Sydney Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Sydney!
Driving in Sydney
Sydney has a well-developed road network that makes driving in the city relatively easy. The main motorways are the A1 and the M4, which run through the city's CBD. There are also a number of toll roads in Sydney, so be sure to have some change or a pre-paid vignette handy. There are numerous parking options in Sydney, including on-street parking, off-street parking and multi-storey car parks. Read the street signs carefully, as fines for illegal parking can be expensive. In general, Sydney drivers are polite and courteous, so enjoy your drive!
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 21. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Please note that Young/Senior Driver fees will only be displayed correctly if you entered your age correctly in the search criteria. If you add Additional Drivers to your rental and any of them are considered Young/Senior Drivers, you may have to pay both an Additional Driver Fee and a Young/Senior Driver Fee.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). English translations of foreign licences are also accepted.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: The minimum legal requirements for the use of child car seats in Australia are based on age: children under six months must use a rear-facing child seat with an integral harness. Children aged six months to four years must use a rear-facing or forward-facing child seat with an integrated harness. Children aged four to seven years must use a forward-facing child seat with an integrated belt or a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt. Children aged seven and over must use a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt or a standard seat with an adult seat belt.
- Driving side of the road: Left Side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: In New South Wales, speed limits vary between 10km/h-110km/h.
- Parking suggestions: There are numerous parking options in Sydney, including on-street parking, off-street parking and multi-storey car parks.
Car Hire in Sydney
Most popular car hire at Sydney
The most selected hire car in Sydney is the Toyota Yaris, with the Toyota Corolla and Hyundai Venue also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Sydney are mini, economy and standard.
Minibus car hire is available in Sydney with cars like Toyota Hiace that can seat up to 12 persons and has a large luggage space.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Sydney
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Sydney. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Australia.
- Sydney - Wollongong (85 km, approx. 1-hour drive)
- Sydney - Canberra (294km, approx. 3,5-hour drive)
- Sydney - Newcastle (161km, approx. 2-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Sydney
There are many great day trips from Sydney, Australia. Some of the most popular include visiting the Hunter Valley wine region, exploring the Royal National Park and visiting the coastal town of Manly. There are also many other great options, such as a hike in the Blue Mountains or a day at one of Sydney's famous beaches. No matter what you choose, you will definitely have a fantastic time exploring this beautiful country!
What to see in Sydney
If you are looking for recreational activities in Sydney, Australia, you have a lot of choices. The city is home to world-famous attractions such as the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. You can also visit the Royal Botanic Gardens or take a walk on Bondi Beach. There's always something going on in Sydney, so be sure to check out the city's events calendar when planning your trip. Whatever you do, be sure to enjoy Sydney's famous hospitality and stunning scenery!
Drive your rental car beyond Sydney
If you are looking for an epic road trip from Sydney to Australia, then the Hume Highway to Melbourne or the drive to Perth across the Nullarbor Plain is for you. Both routes offer stunning scenery and plenty of sights along the way. If you want to take a shorter road trip, there are plenty of great options near Sydney, including the wine regions of the Hunter Valley and the beautiful beaches of the Central Coast. Whichever route you choose, Australia's roads are sure to give you an unforgettable experience. So get behind the wheel and drive away!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Sydney
There are many places to eat and drink in Sydney, Australia. Some of the most popular places are restaurants, bars and cafes. There is something for everyone, whether you want to grab a quick bite or enjoy a leisurely meal. Some of the best places to eat are The Rocks, Darling Harbour and Circular Quay. If you are looking for somewhere to grab a drink, there are plenty of options too. You'll find everything from casual pubs to trendy nightclubs. Sydney is a cosmopolitan city with something for everyone. So get out there and explore!
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Australia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Australia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, but for car groups such as Luxury, Premium, Fullsize, SUVs, the minimum rental age is 30 years. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Australia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Australia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
What is the cheapest rental car in Australia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris and Kia Picanto often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Australia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Keddy, Alamo and National rent a Car Companies.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Australia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Corolla.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Australia?
Most car rentals in Australia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Do I need an international driving license in Australia?
An International Driving license is mandatory if the driver's license is written in a language or in characters that cannot be read in the renting country.
Car Hire Locations in Sydney 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Sydney
Best of Australia