Car Hire in Adelaide
Find your car rental
Adelaide, Australia, is one of the most interesting places in the world to visit. The city is located on the east coast of South Australia and has a population of over 1.2 million people. Adelaide is known for its many festivals and cultural events, including the Adelaide Fringe Festival, the Adelaide Film Festival and the Adelaide Cup. The city also has a rich history and many beautiful parks and gardens. Some of the most popular tourist attractions in Adelaide are the Adelaide Zoo, Rundle Mall and Victoria Square.
Basic info and car hire in Adelaide
- Location: South Australia
- Population: 1.306 million (2016)
- Official language: English
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Weather: In Adelaide, Australia, the weather is usually mild. The summers are warm and the winters are cool. The spring and fall seasons are temperate.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The condition of the roads in Adelaide, Australia varies greatly depending on the time of day and weather conditions. During the daytime, the roads are usually in good condition, but they can become quite slippery during rain or wet weather.
- Car hire in Adelaide: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Adelaide is Adelaide Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Adelaide!
Driving in Adelaide
Driving in Adelaide is a lot of fun. There are many great roads to drive on and the scenery is beautiful. The drivers in Adelaide are also very polite, so it's a great place to drive.
There are a lot of great places to visit in Adelaide, so take your time when driving around the city. There are also some great restaurants and cafes to visit, so explore all that Adelaide has to offer.
Overall, driving in Adelaide is a great experience. The roads are well maintained and the drivers are courteous, so you can relax and enjoy the ride. Check out everything Adelaide has to offer and you will not be disappointed.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 21. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Please note that Young/Senior Driver fees will only be displayed correctly if you entered your age correctly in the search criteria. If you add Additional Drivers to your rental and any of them are considered Young/Senior Drivers, you may have to pay both an Additional Driver Fee and a Young/Senior Driver Fee.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). English translations of foreign licences are also accepted.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: The minimum legal requirements for the use of child car seats in Australia are based on age: children under six months must use a rear-facing child seat with an integral harness. Children aged six months to four years must use a rear-facing or forward-facing child seat with an integrated harness. Children aged four to seven years must use a forward-facing child seat with an integrated belt or a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt. Children aged seven and over must use a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt or a standard seat with an adult seat belt.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: In Adelaide, speed limits vary between 10km/h-110km/h.
- Parking suggestions:
Car Hire in Adelaide
Most popular car hire at Adelaide
The most selected hire car in Adelaide is the Toyota Yaris, with the Toyota Corolla and Mitsubishi ASX also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Melbourne are mini and compact car categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Adelaide
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Adelaide. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Australia.
- Adelaide - Melbourne (728km, approx 8-hour drive)
- Adelaide - Mildura (420km, approx 5-hour drive)
- Adelaide - Warrnambool (599km, approx. 7-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Adelaide
There are many great day trips from Adelaide where you can explore more of South Australia. Here are some of our favourites:
1. Hahndorf - This historic town is just a short drive from Adelaide and is home to some of the best German food in Australia. Be sure to try the sausages and pretzels!
2. McLaren Vale - This wine region is a must for all wine lovers out there. You can tour the vineyards, taste some delicious wines and even buy a few bottles to take home.
3. the Barossa Valley - Another famous wine region, the Barossa Valley is a little further from Adelaide, but definitely worth a visit. You can explore the valley by bike or car and taste some of the country's best wines.
4. Kangaroo Island - This beautiful island lies just off the coast of Adelaide and is a nature lover's paradise. On Kangaroo Island you can explore the beaches, forests and wildlife, and there are also many great restaurants and wineries to visit.
5. Wilpena Pound - If you are looking for stunning scenery, be sure to visit Wilpena Pound. This natural amphitheatre is located in the Flinders Ranges and is definitely worth a visit.
These are just some of the great day trips you can take from Adelaide - explore the area and find your own favourites!
What to see in Adelaide
Adelaide is home to a number of great attractions including the Adelaide Zoo, the Art Gallery of South Australia and the National Wine Centre. The zoo houses a wide variety of animals including elephants, lions and gorillas. The Art Gallery displays a collection of Australian and international art, while the Wine Centre offers wine tastings and educational programmes. Other popular attractions in Adelaide include the Rundle Mall shopping district and Glenelg Beach. Rundle Mall is one of Australia's largest shopping districts and offers a variety of shops and restaurants. Glenelg Beach is a popular place for swimming, sunbathing and surfing. Visitors to Adelaide can also tour Parliament House or Mount Lofty and visit the Adelaide Hills to sample some of the region's famous wines.
Drive your rental car beyond Adelaide
There are many great road trips from Adelaide, Australia. One of the most popular routes is the drive up to the Barossa Valley. This route takes you through some of Australia's most beautiful scenery, and you can enjoy wine tastings at some of the region's best wineries.
Another great route is the drive to Kangaroo Island. This island is known for its stunning natural beauty and you can see everything from secluded sandy beaches to rugged cliffs and wildlife reserves.
If you are looking for an adventurous road trip, you can head to Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the heart of Australia's Red Centre. This iconic rock formation is a must-see for any visitor to Australia and there are many hikes and scenic drives in the area.
Whichever route you choose, a road trip from Adelaide is the perfect way to see everything Australia has to offer. So pack your bags and hit the road!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Adelaide
There are many places to eat and drink in Adelaide, Australia. Here are some of our favourites:
For Deep L lovers, there's the popular Market Lane Coffee, which has several branches in the city. If you are looking for something heartier, try The Cheese & Wine Room - they have some of the best cheese plates in town!
Adelaide is also home to a great craft beer scene. The North Adelaide Beer Garden has a huge selection of local and international beers, and The Wheaty serves delicious pub grub.
If you are looking for a romantic dinner, we recommend Rundle Street Kitchen. The food is exquisite and the ambience is beautiful. It's also a great place for people-watching!
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Australia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Australia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, but for car groups such as Luxury, Premium, Fullsize, SUVs, the minimum rental age is 30 years. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Australia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Australia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
What is the cheapest rental car in Australia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris and Kia Picanto often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Australia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Keddy, Alamo and National rent a Car Companies.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Australia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Corolla.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Australia?
Most car rentals in Australia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Do I need an international driving license in Australia?
An International Driving license is mandatory if the driver's license is written in a language or in characters that cannot be read in the renting country.
Car Hire Locations in Adelaide 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Adelaide
Best of Australia