Car Hire in Ballina
Find your car rental
Cheap Car Hire Deals in Ballina
The city of Ballina is located in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales, Australia. It is located on the coastline of the Pacific Ocean and is surrounded by lush rainforest. The city is a popular tourist destination and offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors. Some of the highlights include surfing at Lennox Headland, swimming at Main Beach and hiking in the Ballina hinterland. There are also a number of restaurants and cafes in the town centre, as well as vibrant nightlife. Accommodation options range from camping and caravans to luxury resorts.
Basic info and car hire in Ballina
- Location: New South Wales
- Official language: English
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Weather: The weather in Ballina is typically hot and humid with occasional rainfall. The summer months are the hottest, with temperatures reaching up to 30 degrees Celsius. The winter months are cooler, with temperatures reaching a maximum of 18 degrees Celsius.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The condition of the roads in Ballina, Australia varies greatly depending on the time of day and weather conditions. During the daytime, the roads are usually in good condition, but they can become quite slippery during rain or wet weather.
- Car hire in Ballina: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Ballina is Ballina Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Ballina!
Driving in Ballina
When driving in Ballina, Australia, there are a few things you need to be aware of. Firstly, the speed limit is 50 km/h (30 mph) in the city and 100 km/h (60 mph) on the highways. Secondly, all seatbelts must be worn at all times. Thirdly, it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. And finally, you must always give way to pedestrians.
Ballina is a beautiful coastal town in north-eastern New South Wales. The city is located on the Richmond River and is surrounded by lush rainforest. Ballina also has many beaches, including Lennox Head and Byron Bay.
When driving through Ballina, take your time and enjoy the scenery. There are many places where you can stop and take a break, such as the Ballina Byron Gateway Airport or the Ballina Lighthouse. Be sure to obey the speed limit and other traffic rules.
When visiting Ballina, please drive carefully and abide by local laws. Enjoy your time in this beautiful city!
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 21. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Please note that Young/Senior Driver fees will only be displayed correctly if you entered your age correctly in the search criteria. If you add Additional Drivers to your rental and any of them are considered Young/Senior Drivers, you may have to pay both an Additional Driver Fee and a Young/Senior Driver Fee.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). English translations of foreign licences are also accepted.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: The minimum legal requirements for the use of child car seats in Australia are based on age: children under six months must use a rear-facing child seat with an integral harness. Children aged six months to four years must use a rear-facing or forward-facing child seat with an integrated harness. Children aged four to seven years must use a forward-facing child seat with an integrated belt or a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt. Children aged seven and over must use a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt or a standard seat with an adult seat belt.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: In New South Wales, speed limits vary between 10km/h-110km/h.
- Parking suggestions: Parkin in Ballina is simple and easy.
Car Hire in Ballina
Most popular car hire at Ballina
The most selected hire car in Ballina is the Kia Picanto, with the Toyota Yaris and Mitsubishi ASX also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Brisbane are mini, compact and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Ballina
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Ballina. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Australia.
- Ballina - Brisbane (186KM, approx. 2-hour drive)
- Ballina - Gold Coast (114km, approx. 1,5-hour drive)
- Ballina - Sydney (732km, approx. 8-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Ballina
There are many great day trips you can take from Ballina, Australia. Whether you want to explore the local area or venture further afield, there is something for everyone. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Head to Byron Bay and see the world-famous beaches and coastal landscapes.
- Visit the small town of Bangalow and explore the quaint shops and cafes.
- For something a little different, head inland to Lismore and visit the rainforest in Nightcap National Park.
- Or why not take a trip across the border into New South Wales and explore some of the stunning Snowy Mountains?
Whichever direction you choose, you are sure to have a great day out. So hit the road and discover all that Ballina and its surroundings have to offer!
What to see in Ballina
There are many attractions in Ballina that are of interest to tourists. Among the most popular are the Ballina Byron Gateway Airport, the Ballina Jetties and the Richmond River.
The airport is a major gateway into the region and offers flights to a number of destinations. The jetties are a popular fishing spot and offer stunning views of the river and its surroundings. The Richmond River is teeming with wildlife and is a great place for fishing, swimming and kayaking.
Other attractions in Ballina include the North Coast Regional Botanic Gardens, which showcase plants from across northern New South Wales, and Pimbera Falls, a beautiful waterfall just outside the city. There are also a number of great restaurants and cafés in Ballina, as well as a range of shops and boutiques.
So if you are looking for a great place to visit in Australia, be sure to put Ballina on your list!
Drive your rental car beyond Ballina
Road trips are a great way to explore Australia. Here are some of the best road trips from Ballina in New South Wales.
The first road trip is the Pacific Coast Highway. This road trip takes you along the stunning coastline from Ballina to Sydney. The drive is about 650 kilometres long and is therefore well suited for a long weekend. You pass through beautiful towns and villages and there are many places to stop and enjoy the view.
If you want to explore more of NSW, the Great North Road is a good option. This road trip starts in Ballina and takes you all the way to Queensland. It's about 1,000 kilometres long, so it's perfect for a week-long trip. Along the way you will see incredible scenery and there are many opportunities to stop and explore.
If you want to do a shorter road trip, the drive from Byron Bay to Lismore is a good option. It is only about an hour-long but takes you through some beautiful scenery. There are many places to stop and you can even extend the drive by taking a detour to Nimbin.
No matter what kind of road trip you are looking for, Ballina is a great place to start. With so many beautiful routes in the area, you are sure to find the perfect one for you.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Ballina
There are lots of great places to eat and drink in Ballina, Australia. Here are just a few of our favourites:
The Boat Shed - This waterfront restaurant is the perfect place to enjoy fresh seafood while taking in the views of the Richmond River.
Ballina RSL Club - Enjoy a meal or drink in this relaxed club atmosphere, with plenty of options for adults and children.
Barrio Brothers - This trendy tapas bar is the perfect place for a night out with friends, offering a delicious menu with small plates to share.
Café On The Deck - Soak up the sun on the terrace of this popular café, which offers healthy lunch dishes as well as sweet treats like acai bowls and smoothies.
The River Bar - Located on the riverbank, this relaxed bar is the perfect place to enjoy a few drinks while watching the boats go by.
So there you have it - just a few of our favourite places to eat and drink in Ballina. Whether you are looking for casual dining or a night on the town, there's something for everyone in this beautiful riverside town.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Australia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Australia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, but for car groups such as Luxury, Premium, Fullsize, SUVs, the minimum rental age is 30 years. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Australia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Australia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
What is the cheapest rental car in Australia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris and Kia Picanto often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Australia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Keddy, Alamo and National rent a Car Companies.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Australia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Corolla.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Australia?
Most car rentals in Australia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Do I need an international driving license in Australia?
An International Driving license is mandatory if the driver's license is written in a language or in characters that cannot be read in the renting country.
Car Hire Locations in Ballina 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Ballina
Best of Australia