Car Hire in Cairns
Find your car rental
Cairns is a beautiful city in the North Queensland region of Australia. It is known for its tropical climate and stunning scenery. There is a lot to see and do in Cairns, such as exploring the rainforest, swimming in the Great Barrier Reef and hiking in the mountains. The people of Cairns are friendly and welcoming, making it a great place to visit.
Cairns is a popular destination for tourists and there is a wide choice of hotels and restaurants. There are also a number of great beaches in the area for swimming, sunbathing and surfing. If you are looking for an adventure, Cairns is the perfect place. The rainforest and reef offer plenty of opportunities for exploration, and the mountains are waiting to be hiked. Whether you are looking for a relaxing holiday or an action-packed adventure, Cairns will delight you.
Basic info and car hire in Cairns
- Location: Queensland
- Population: 150.041 (2016)
- Official language: English
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Weather: The weather in Cairns is typically very hot and humid. The summers are long and extremely hot, while the winters are short and mild.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The condition of the roads in Cairns, Australia varies greatly depending on the time of day and weather conditions. During the daytime, the roads are usually in good condition, but they can become quite slippery during rain or wet weather.
- Car hire in Cairns: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Cairns is Cairns Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Cairns!
Driving in Cairns
Driving in Cairns is an interesting experience. The roads are well maintained and the scenery is beautiful. However, drivers in Cairns are known to be aggressive and impatient. So it is important that you are aware of your surroundings and remain calm when driving in Cairns. There are a few things you should be aware of when driving in this area:
1) Be prepared for curves and hills. The roads in Cairns are hilly and there are many curves. So make sure you focus on the road ahead and not on the beautiful scenery.
2) Drive defensively. Drivers in Cairns are known to be aggressive and impatient. Therefore, it is important to drive defensively and keep a safe distance between you and the car in front of you.
3) Watch out for wild animals. There are many animals on the roads of Cairns. Therefore, be aware of your surroundings and of wild animals.
4) Be aware of road conditions. The roads in Cairns can be wet and slippery, especially after rain. So be aware of the road conditions and adjust your driving accordingly.
5) Make way for pedestrians. In Cairns, pedestrians have the right of way. So make sure you give way to pedestrians when crossing intersections and drive slowly through pedestrian areas.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 21. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Please note that Young/Senior Driver fees will only be displayed correctly if you entered your age correctly in the search criteria. If you add Additional Drivers to your rental and any of them are considered Young/Senior Drivers, you may have to pay both an Additional Driver Fee and a Young/Senior Driver Fee.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). English translations of foreign licences are also accepted.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: The minimum legal requirements for the use of child car seats in Australia are based on age: children under six months must use a rear-facing child seat with an integral harness. Children aged six months to four years must use a rear-facing or forward-facing child seat with an integrated harness. Children aged four to seven years must use a forward-facing child seat with an integrated belt or a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt. Children aged seven and over must use a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt or a standard seat with an adult seat belt.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: In Cairns, speed limits vary between 10km/h-110km/h.
- Parking suggestions: It is easy to park in Cairns, you will find both paid and free parking in the city centre.
Car Hire in Cairns
Most popular car hire at Cairns
The most selected hire car in Cairns is the MG 3, with the Toyota Yaris and Mitsubishi ASX also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Cairns are mini, economy and compact car categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Cairns
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Cairns. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Australia.
How can I save money on my rental car?
- Save money by booking and being charged the best possible price
- Book with a name you know, with brands that have shown their quality before
- No hidden fees or costs. Orbit Car Hire has transparent pricing policies.
- Pay on Arrival option.
- Carefree travel with Orbit Car Hire
- Secure, eco-friendly cars guaranteed to meet your needs
Popular day trips from Cairns
There are many great day trips from Cairns, Australia that allow you to explore the natural beauty of the region. Here are some of our favourites:
1. Visit the beautiful Atherton Tablelands. This area is known for its lush rainforest and rolling hills and is great for hiking and bird watching.
2. Explore the Great Barrier Reef. The reef is home to some of the most amazing marine life in the world. So be sure to bring your snorkelling and diving gear!
3. Head to Cape Tribulation. This stunning stretch of coastline with rainforest, coral reefs and beaches is a nature lover's paradise.
4. Visit the village of Kuranda. This quaint village is home to charming shops, restaurants and galleries, as well as an animal sanctuary.
5. Drive up the mountain to Lake Eacham. This tranquil lake is surrounded by lush rainforest, making it the perfect place for a relaxing day.
Whatever you choose, you are sure to have a great time in Cairns and the surrounding area!
What to see in Cairns
Cairns is a vibrant and colourful city in northern Australia. It is surrounded by rainforest and offers visitors many activities, including swimming, diving and hiking. Here are some of the best things to see and do in Cairns:
1. Visit the markets. The Cairns Esplanade Markets are a great place to find locally made crafts and souvenirs. There is also a great selection of food so you can try some of the local flavours.
2. Explore the rainforest. The rainforest that surrounds Cairns is full of wildlife and natural beauty. There are many walking trails where you can explore the forest at your own pace.
3. Go swimming and diving. Cairns is on the coast, so there are plenty of beaches where you can swim and dive. The Great Barrier Reef is also nearby, so Cairns is a great place for anyone interested in the underwater world.
4. Take a tour. There are many different tours available in Cairns, including rainforest, reef and Aboriginal culture tours. This is a great way to get an overview of everything Cairns has to offer.
5. Relax in the sun. One of the best things about Cairns is the relaxed tropical atmosphere. Spend some time on one of the beaches or in one of the city's parks and let your mind wander.
Drive your rental car beyond Cairns
There are many great trips from Cairns, Australia. One of the most popular is the drive down to Brisbane. This route takes you through some of the country's most stunning scenery, including the rainforest and coastal towns.
Another great option is the drive to Darwin. This journey takes you through some of Australia's most remote and beautiful areas, including Kakadu National Park. You will also learn about the unique culture of the Northern Territory.
If you are looking for a shorter road trip, there are also many options. The drive from Cairns to Port Douglas is a popular choice as it passes through some of the most beautiful scenery in Queensland. Alternatively, head to the Atherton Tablelands for a scenic drive through the rainforest.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Cairns
There are many places to eat and drink in Cairns. Some of the best places to eat are:
- The Woolshed: This is a popular bar and restaurant serving Australian food.
- JJs' Diner: This diner is known for its burgers and milkshakes.
- The Tanks Arts Centre Cafe: This cafe serves healthy food and desserts.
- Cafe Vue: This cafe has an outdoor terrace overlooking the ocean. It serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.
These are just a few of the many great places to eat and drink in Cairns. Be sure to check out the different options to find the perfect place for you.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Australia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Australia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, but for car groups such as Luxury, Premium, Fullsize, SUVs, the minimum rental age is 30 years. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Australia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Australia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
What is the cheapest rental car in Australia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris and Kia Picanto often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Australia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Keddy, Alamo and National rent a Car Companies.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Australia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Corolla.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Australia?
Most car rentals in Australia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Do I need an international driving license in Australia?
An International Driving license is mandatory if the driver's license is written in a language or in characters that cannot be read in the renting country.
Car Hire Locations in Cairns 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Cairns
Best of Australia