Car Hire in Darwin
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Darwin
Darwin, Australia, is a beautiful and unique place. It is home to many different cultures and people from all over the world. The city has a rich history and there is much to see and do. Whether you want to explore the natural wonders of the area or just experience the vibrant nightlife, Darwin is the perfect destination.
There are plenty of activities in Darwin to keep you busy. If you are looking for adventure, you can hike or bike in Kakadu National Park, explore the amazing caves in Litchfield National Park or take a dip in one of the region's many waterfalls. For those who prefer to relax, there are numerous beaches to choose from, or you can simply enjoy the view from one of the many lookout points.
No matter what your interests are, there is sure to be something for you in Darwin. So come and discover this amazing city for yourself!
Basic info and car hire in Darwin
- Location: Northern Territory
- Population: 132.045 (2016)
- Official language: English
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Weather: The weather in Darwin is hot and humid. The average temperature is around 30 degrees Celsius, but it can get as hot as 40 degrees Celsius. The humidity is high, so it can feel very muggy.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The condition of the roads in Darwin, Australia varies greatly depending on the time of day and weather conditions. During the daytime, the roads are usually in good condition, but they can become quite slippery during rain or wet weather.
- Car hire in Darwin: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Darwin is Darwin Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Darwin!
Driving in Darwin
Darwin is the capital of the Northern Territory and is located on the Timor Sea. The city has a tropical climate and is known for its relaxed lifestyle. The roads in Darwin are generally good, but there are some areas where they can be quite narrow and winding. There are also some dirt roads in the city. Darwin is a popular destination for tourists and there are many car rental companies offering vehicles for hire. It is advisable to book a car in advance as prices can be high in high season. When driving in Darwin, remember that the speed limit is lower than in other parts of Australia. The legal drink-drive limit is also lower than in other states, so you should be aware of this if you plan to drink. There are a number of toll roads in Darwin, so be sure to have some change handy if you plan to use them. There are also a number of roundabouts in the city which can be confusing for visitors. When driving in Darwin, it is important to pay attention to the roads and obey all traffic rules.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 21. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Please note that Young/Senior Driver fees will only be displayed correctly if you entered your age correctly in the search criteria. If you add Additional Drivers to your rental and any of them are considered Young/Senior Drivers, you may have to pay both an Additional Driver Fee and a Young/Senior Driver Fee.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). English translations of foreign licences are also accepted.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: The minimum legal requirements for the use of child car seats in Australia are based on age: children under six months must use a rear-facing child seat with an integral harness. Children aged six months to four years must use a rear-facing or forward-facing child seat with an integrated harness. Children aged four to seven years must use a forward-facing child seat with an integrated belt or a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt. Children aged seven and over must use a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt or a standard seat with an adult seat belt.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: In Darwin, speed limits vary between 10km/h-110km/h.
- Parking suggestions: Paid parking is required from 8.00 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday. There is no overnight fee for on-street parking.
Car Hire in Darwin
Most popular car hire at Darwin
The most selected hire car in Darwin is the MG 3, with the Toyota Yaris and Mitsubishi ASX also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Cairns are mini, economy and compact car categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Darwin
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Darwin. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Australia.
Popular day trips from Darwin
There are many great day trips from Darwin, Australia. Here are some of our favourites:
1. Litchfield National Park - This park is home to stunning waterfalls, crystal clear streams and diverse wildlife. It is the perfect place for a nature walk or picnic.
2 Kakadu National Park - This vast park is known for its dramatic landscapes and Aboriginal cultural heritage. Be sure to visit the ancient rock art galleries and admire the wildlife on a safari tour.
3. Berry Springs Nature Reserve - This beautiful reserve is home to crystal clear pools, tranquil gardens and a variety of wildlife. Pack a picnic and spend the day swimming and exploring the natural landscape.
4. Howard Springs Nature Reserve - This reserve is a great place for a family picnic, with plenty of shady spots, barbecue areas and playgrounds. It is also home to beautiful wetlands teeming with birds.
5 Mary River National Park - This park is known for its impressive wetland system, home to crocodiles, turtles and a variety of birds. Take a boat trip on the river or hike through the rainforest.
What to see in Darwin
Popular activities in Darwin include visiting the Mindil Beach Markets, exploring Litchfield National Park and cruising the Adelaide River. Other popular attractions in the city include the George Brown Botanic Gardens, the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory and the Darwin Military Museum. Darwin also has no shortage of great restaurants and bars, so be sure to explore the local culinary scene!
Drive your rental car beyond Darwin
There's nothing like hitting the open road and seeing everything Australia has to offer. And there's no better place to start than Darwin.
Located in the Northern Territory, Darwin is the perfect starting point for a road trip. From here you can explore the beautiful Top End, home to stunning national parks, world-famous rivers full of crocodiles and abundant wildlife.
Continue south and you'll reach Kakadu National Park, one of Australia's most famous destinations. Or head east towards Arnhem Land for an unforgettable experience.
Wherever you go, you are sure to have an incredible adventure. Here are some of the best road trips from Darwin.
Kakadu National Park
Kakadu is one of Australia's most popular national parks, and it's not hard to see why. This stunning place is home to an incredible variety of wildlife, including crocodiles, dingoes, wallabies and hundreds of bird species.
There's plenty to do in Kakadu, from exploring the many walking trails to taking a safari tour. You can even take a dip in one of the park's freshwater pools.
Arnhem Land is an Aboriginal reserve located east of Darwin. It's an incredibly remote and rugged place, but that's part of its appeal. Arnhem Land is home to some of Australia's most breathtaking scenery, as well as a rich Aboriginal culture that dates back thousands of years.
You can explore Arnhem Land by car, boat or plane - the choice is yours. Just get ready for an adventure like no other.
Litchfield National Park
Just a short drive south of Darwin is Litchfield National Park, one of Australia's most popular destinations. This beautiful park is home to waterfalls, swimming holes, rugged outback and a variety of wildlife.
There's something for everyone in Litchfield, whether you want a relaxing day by the pool or an adventurous hike. Whatever you choose, you are sure to have a great time.
If you are looking for an epic road trip, the Kimberley is the place for you. This vast and wild region is located in Western Australia, north of Darwin.
The Kimberley is home to some of Australia's most famous landscapes, including the Bungle Bungle Range, Mitchell Falls and Lake Argyle. The Kimberley is also a great place to spot wildlife: Crocodiles, dingoes and wallabies live in the region.
Whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation, Darwin is the perfect place to start your Australia road trip. So what are you waiting for? Hit the road and explore the area!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Darwin
There's no shortage of great places to eat and drink in Darwin, Australia. Whether you are looking for a casual snack or a more formal restaurant, you'll find plenty of options.
If you are looking for a quick and easy meal, there are plenty of fast food and casual dining options. For something heartier, there are also several pubs and restaurants serving traditional Australian dishes. And if you are in the mood for something really unique, Darwin has several Asian fusion restaurants that put an exciting twist on familiar dishes.
No matter what your taste buds crave, you are sure to find something in Darwin that suits your fancy. So explore all that this vibrant city has to offer!
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Australia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Australia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, but for car groups such as Luxury, Premium, Fullsize, SUVs, the minimum rental age is 30 years. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Australia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Australia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
What is the cheapest rental car in Australia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris and Kia Picanto often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Australia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Keddy, Alamo and National rent a Car Companies.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Australia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Corolla.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Australia?
Most car rentals in Australia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Do I need an international driving license in Australia?
An International Driving license is mandatory if the driver's license is written in a language or in characters that cannot be read in the renting country.
Car Hire Locations in Darwin 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Darwin
Best of Australia