Car Hire in Launceston
Find your car rental
Launceston is a beautiful city in the north of Tasmania. The city is known for its historic architecture and beautiful parks. There are also many great restaurants and cafes in Launceston, making it a perfect place for a weekend getaway., Australia.
Basic info and car hire in Launceston
- Location: Tasmania
- Population: 66.000
- Official language: English
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Weather: The weather in Launceston is mild and temperate. Summers are warm with average temperatures of around 22 degrees Celsius, while winters are cool, with average temperatures of around 8 degrees Celsius.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The condition of the roads in Launceston, Australia varies greatly depending on the time of day and weather conditions. During the daytime, the roads are usually in good condition, but they can become quite slippery during rain or wet weather.
- Car hire in Launceston: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Launceston is Launceston Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Launceston!
Driving in Launceston
Driving in Launceston is generally quite relaxed. The roads are well maintained and drivers are generally courteous. However, there are a few things you should be aware of when driving in Launceston.
Firstly, traffic can be a little unpredictable, so always keep your eyes open and stay alert. Secondly, there are some one-way streets in the city centre. So make sure you are familiar with them before you set off. Finally, there are a few hills in Launceston, so feel free to drive up or down them.
Overall, driving in Launceston is quite pleasant. Just remember to be alert and obey all traffic rules and you will have a pleasant journey. Have fun!
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 21. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Please note that Young/Senior Driver fees will only be displayed correctly if you entered your age correctly in the search criteria. If you add Additional Drivers to your rental and any of them are considered Young/Senior Drivers, you may have to pay both an Additional Driver Fee and a Young/Senior Driver Fee.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). English translations of foreign licences are also accepted.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: The minimum legal requirements for the use of child car seats in Australia are based on age: children under six months must use a rear-facing child seat with an integral harness. Children aged six months to four years must use a rear-facing or forward-facing child seat with an integrated harness. Children aged four to seven years must use a forward-facing child seat with an integrated belt or a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt. Children aged seven and over must use a booster seat with an adult lap belt or a child safety belt or a standard seat with an adult seat belt.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: In Launceston, speed limits vary between 10km/h-110km/h.
- Parking suggestions: Parking in Launceston is relatively easy. If you want free parking, look for empty slots in the suburbs of Launceston, downtown, you will need to pay a small fee for parking.
Car Hire in Launceston
Most popular car hire at Launceston
The most selected hire car in Launceston is the MG 3, with the MG ZS and Kia Stonic also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Launceston are compact and intermediate.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Launceston
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Launceston. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Australia.
Popular day trips from Launceston
If you are looking for a nice day trip from Launceston, Australia, there are many great options. Here are some of the best:
1. Beaconsfield Mine and Heritage Centre - This attraction is perfect for anyone interested in history and how things are made. The mine was in operation from 1879 to 1914 and today you can visit the museum and learn all about its history. There is also a labyrinth and a nature trail on the grounds.
2. Cataract Gorge - This natural wonder is a great place to spend a day outdoors. There are hiking trails, a suspension bridge and opportunities for fishing and swimming. You can also take a ride on the chairlift for a great view of the gorge.
3. Tamar Valley Wine Region - If you are a fan of wine, this is the day trip for you. There are over 30 wineries in the region, many of which offer tasting rooms and tours. You can also explore the natural beauty of the area on scenic drives or walks.
4. Cradle Mountain National Park - This park is home to some of Tasmania's most stunning scenery, including mountains, lakes and forests. There are a variety of hiking trails as well as places where you can rent a cabin or camp overnight.
5. The beaches of Devonport - A trip to the beach is always a nice way to spend the day, and Devonport has some of the best in Tasmania. You can choose from a variety of beaches, each with its own character. You can also visit the local aquarium or take a ferry ride there.
No matter what interests you, there's sure to be a great day out waiting for you in Launceston, Australia. So get out there and explore the city!
What to see in Launceston
One of the most popular attractions in Launceston is Cataract Gorge. The gorge is located on the Tamar River and is a great place for a walk or picnic. There are also some wonderful restaurants near the gorge, making it the perfect place for a day out., Australia.
Another popular attraction in Launceston is Inveresk Lodge. The lodge is home to many beautiful gardens and is a great place to take a walk on a sunny day. The lodge also has a café, making it the perfect place for a lunch break., Australia.
If you want to have some fun in Launceston, you should visit Penny Royal World. Penny Royal World is a theme park in the city centre that is suitable for all ages. The park offers a variety of rides, games and attractions., Australia.
Launceston is a beautiful city and a great place for a relaxing weekend getaway. There are many great things to see and do in the city, so be sure to put it on your list of places to visit on your next visit to Tasmania.
Drive your rental car beyond Launceston
There are many great road trips you can take from Launceston, Australia. One of the most popular routes is the Tamar Valley Wine Route. This route takes you through some of Tasmania's most picturesque landscapes and is home to some of the country's best wineries.
Another great excursion from Launceston is the drive to Cradle Mountain. This scenic route takes you through some of Tasmania's most beautiful national parks and offers plenty of opportunities for hiking and sightseeing.
If you are looking for an adventurous road trip, head to Strahan on the west coast. This route takes in some challenging mountain roads and offers breathtaking views of the Tasmanian wilderness. Strahan also has a number of interesting museums and attractions.
Whichever route you choose, you are sure to have fun exploring Tasmania's beautiful countryside from Launceston.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Launceston
There are many dining and drinking options in Launceston, Australia. Some of the best restaurants are the Harvest Moon, the Boathouse Bistro and the Tamar Valley Hotel. Harvest Moon is a local favourite and serves fresh Tasmanian cuisine. The Boathouse Bistro is also a good choice and has a beautiful riverside location. If you are looking for something more casual, there are plenty of pubs and cafes to choose from. Favourites include the Cat & Fiddle Pub and Cafe Culture.
When it comes to drinks, Tasmania is known for its beers and ciders. The Old Curiosity Alehouse is a great place to try some of Tasmania's best beers, and the Tamar Valley Cidery is a must for cider lovers. There are also many wine bars in Launceston, such as the Nant and the Stonehouse. Whatever your taste, you are sure to find something you like in Launceston.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Australia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Australia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, but for car groups such as Luxury, Premium, Fullsize, SUVs, the minimum rental age is 30 years. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Australia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Australia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
What is the cheapest rental car in Australia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris and Kia Picanto often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Australia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Keddy, Alamo and National rent a Car Companies.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Australia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Corolla.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Australia?
Most car rentals in Australia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Do I need an international driving license in Australia?
An International Driving license is mandatory if the driver's license is written in a language or in characters that cannot be read in the renting country.
Car Hire Locations in Launceston 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Launceston
Best of Australia